Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think my graphics cards are overheating (something seems to be).

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Forbiddentwo

Forbiddentwo

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

This is my computer:

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/FX540_Series/2905953R/2905953Rnv.shtml

Here are the results of running DXDIAG: http://pastebin.ca/2570438

I am running Windows 8, and crash when I try to play any graphics intensive game for too long.

I've tried dusting out my computer (taking out the cards and getting the dust out of the nooks and crannies, etc), and while that helps, the problem does not go away.  I've also tried updating my drivers.  That didn't seem to help at all.

To make a long story short, I'm fairly certain my graphics card is overheating (speedfan says that when I am playing MechWarrior online on low settings, one of them can reach 80C!). I've also noticed that sometimes my computer will crash when playing youtube videos (that is quite rare though).

When my computer crashes, typically the screen will freeze for a while, then go dark, and I have to manually reset my computer.

I've noticed that when I run speedfan upon starting my computer, two of the fans inside are at 60% power (the other 2 are at 100%). Bumping the former two up to 100% every time I start up the computer seems to fix things barring really long gaming sessions. I've also noticed that my computer seems to run hot regardless (flame icons).

I have no experience at all with replacing fans or anything like that, and I was wondering:

1: Given the green plastic thing designed to shunt air from the front fan onto my processor, do I need to be careful when choosing a replacement fan? Is it possible that I could buy a replacement fan that does not properly fit, resulting in bad air flow? If so, how can I be sure to avoid this?

2: Could anyone recommend any suitable fans that have a built in filter or something similar so that I can just replace that regularly instead of having to remove a bunch of stuff when I dust to make sure I get it all out?

3: One of the little fans on my motherboard seems to be rattling, but I am not sure where to look to find a replacement (obviously I don't want to replace the whole board :P).  I got as far as the gateway website... but I don't see any specific information on those little fans.

4: Should I just replace my video cards, since they seem to be the problem?

5: I am actually using an older PC's power cord (it hasn't burst into flames as of yet so I don't think that's the problem, but I just thought I'd mention it).

6: My video cards are SLIed, but disabling SLI didn't seem to help... that said, if I do replace the video cards, should I look into another pair of cards, or just get the one? I heard that SLI was unstable a while back, but I'm wondering how it is now... have the kinks been worked out?

Also, both cards have a fan built in to them, but due to the way they have to be positioned, one of the fans is blowing directly onto the other card...  that's the way the computer came, though, and I don't see any way of fixing this due to the arrangement of the slots (and the size of the SLI bridge).

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2014 - 04:16 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

The little chipset fans are probably standard 40mm fans.  They are widely available (and usually noisy...). Measure as per below to confirm..

fp_108_hi_dc_dimensions.gif

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Forbiddentwo

Forbiddentwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w4XUP6TUp4Es0eEVEw0B7mJ

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

Your video cards are way to hot

DELL 2000FP (1600x1200@60Hz)
768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (EVGA): 73 °C
768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (EVGA): 77 °C

What kind of case do you have, and when was the last time you cleaned it?

#6 Forbiddentwo

Forbiddentwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

Your video cards are way to hot

DELL 2000FP (1600x1200@60Hz)
768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (EVGA): 73 °C
768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (EVGA): 77 °C

What kind of case do you have, and when was the last time you cleaned it?

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/FX540_Series/2905953R/2905953Rnv.shtml

That's my case.

And I cleaned it just yesterday.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

If those are idle temperatures then it is way to hot and i would assume once in game, it would hit 100 degrees Celsius easily and shut down. Have you tried running the system with only 1 graphics card?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

Can you take a picture of the case with the side off?

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

6008166R_03.jpg

Source: http://support.gateway.com/s/vidcard/NVIDIA/6008166R/6008166Rmvr7.shtml

I think that's the reason why it runs hot due to it being in a cramp case and the cards are literally sandwiched together.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

I wanna see the dust and stuff in the case to see how good he cleaned it.

#11 Forbiddentwo

Forbiddentwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

I wanna see the dust and stuff in the case to see how good he cleaned it.

dust%20pc2.JPG?rdrts=65222722

No, just kidding.

Here:

jbqi.jpg

I took out the video and sound cards (and the big green thing) to get out as much dust as possible...

Also:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rvt3qAhVWKvSy7CN5PDRz7d

Did that soon after starting up.

6008166R_03.jpg

Source: http://support.gateway.com/s/vidcard/NVIDIA/6008166R/6008166Rmvr7.shtml

I think that's the reason why it runs hot due to it being in a cramp case and the cards are literally sandwiched together.

Don't they have to be that close, though?  Because the SLI bridge won't reach otherwise...

Edited by Forbiddentwo, 24 January 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

I would definitely get a bigger case your motherboard and everything else should fit. That is a poorly designed setup by Gateway.

#13 Forbiddentwo

Forbiddentwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

I would definitely get a bigger case your motherboard and everything else should fit. That is a poorly designed setup by Gateway.

How big?

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

I would strongly encourage you to buy a full tower case to provide more cooling and air flow.

#15 Forbiddentwo

Forbiddentwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

I would strongly encourage you to buy a full tower case to provide more cooling and air flow.

What are the odds that I will pick the wrong thing and end up with a useless case :P?

I have no experience whatsoever in choosing cases.

And will simply getting a bigger case (I take it mine is not "full size"?) negate the apparent need for that green plastic thing funneling the air from the front fan over the processor?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users