Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tablet only has Micro USB port - want to connect to projectors, etc.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Redneck Hippie

The Redneck Hippie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

I have a Lenovo Miix 2 8 tablet running Windows 8 with only a Micro USB port (User guide and photos of ports/slots below).

I'd like to connect it to my external hard drive, thumb/flash drives, external CD/DVD reader/player, and a variety of projectors, new and old (I travel all over giving presentations and never know what kind of projector with what kind of hookups they will have.).  I'm just learning how to use technology in my presentations (mostly Power Point, but also other photos, videos, music or other audio, etc.), so am not real well-versed in what it takes to connect to projectors, but have been learning online.  

Here's what I'm thinking will allow me to be ready for anything.  If anyone sees any flaws or omissions, would you let me know?  

1. One with a female USB A (standard USB) end and a male Micro USB end (for use with external drives, CD/DVD player, other adapters below)
  2. One with a male USB A end and female VGA end
  3. One with a male USB A end and female HDMI end -- Which kind of HDMI should I get? I'm thinking A will cover almost all, right?  Or are any of the others very common?  If so, which ones?  B? E? Other?
  4. Gender changers for each of VGA, HDMI and USB - just in case (or should I not need these?)
  5. One extra long cord with a male USB A end and a female USB A end

Also, any advice on where to get these things, and who makes good, quality ones?  I'd rather pay more to get something that lasts than go cheap and have it break at an inopportune time.  If you know of a brand that is reliable and of good quality, please share.  Same with seller (A friend suggested Fry's.com - good or bad?).  I have no earthly idea who is a good maker or seller since I've just taken my chances off eBay or Amazon over the years and had varying results.  

Lastly, I'm scared to death of hooking up the wrong thing in the wrong way with the wrong adapter and frying something.  How much do I need to worry about that?  I came across warnings of this when trying to hook one computer to another to transfer data via USB and am kind of jumpy about it now.  

Thanks in advance for the help!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the user manual for my tablet, with pages 7 and 8 showing the ports and jacks: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Qv4QQIle-XR0F5eFpIVVpEY0E/edit?usp=sharing

I have all shown except the SIM card slot (#3 on the list).  I do have the Micro SD card slot, and another couple holes next to the card slot - I've no idea what they are. You can also see the Micro USB to the left of all that. Here's what the interior of that area looks like: 

1551769_10202172458325673_296849865_n.jp

(It's a cold day, so they dogs are napping inside with me. ;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

For cables I recommend Monoprice

That said, things are a bit more complex than you are making them out to be.  You need an actual device, not just a cable, to go from USB to video (either VGA or HDMI).  If you decide to purchase a device I'd go with USB to HDMI and then get adapters to change to the video you need.

#3 The Redneck Hippie

The Redneck Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for the help, RKilroy.  I really do appreciate you helping me learn more about this.

That said, things are a bit more complex than you are making them out to be.  You need an actual device, not just a cable, to go from USB to video.

I'm not surprised about the complexity - I had a feeling it couldn't be that simple. *sigh*  Do you know the name for the device I need so I can find it on Monoprice? 

If you decide to purchase a device I'd go with USB to HDMI and then get adapters to change to the video you need.

Good to know.  Do you know offhand if they make these devices with a Micro USB end? 

Edited by The Redneck Hippie, 23 January 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#4 The Redneck Hippie

The Redneck Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

I may have found the device, RKilroy.  Is this what you were talking about?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=8079&seq=1&format=2

The name on the box is "USB to HDMI adapter", but it's listed on the site as a USB to video converter (makes more sense, that name). 

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

Yes, that's what you need.  It looks like that one will do HDMI and DVI, so you will also want either an HDMI to VGA or DVI to VGA adapter.  Any you will need a mini to mini connector as it comes with a USBA to USB mini cable.

I couldn't find anything like this on Monoprice, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking.  This sounds like what you're looking for and it isn't very expensive.

#6 The Redneck Hippie

The Redneck Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

Sweet!  That looks exactly like what I need to attach all the things!  I like that it's long, but retractable - easier to fit in a portable "tool kit" when I travel.

But the $4 price gives me pause.  Is it so inexpensive because simple cords/plugs like that just aren't expensive to make?  Or is it so inexpensive because it's cheaply made and I should look for one like that but better quality? 

I think I'll print that page to carry with me this week as I go to electronics stores on a hunt for the perfect stylus.  See if they have something like that that I can see in person and tell if it's tough enough to last a while. 

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

Most of these things are all made over seas, if paying more will make you feel better I'm sure that there are places that will charge you more for the same item.  The one review says they bought 10 and none of them worked, so maybe this isn't such a good one.  It was more for the idea.

Here is one from GE no reviews so I don't know how good it is.

Here are a bunch from Amazon

#8 The Redneck Hippie

The Redneck Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

Nah, don't want to pay more just to feel better - I want to pay more for a quality one that will last.  On my other thread asking about a good styus, Animal cautioned me not to go cheap and I have to agree with him.  I'm just not sure how much is too much and how much is too little for these things yet, so don't know what's cheap because it's "cheap" and what's cheap because it doesn't take much to make.

But I'm getting there! :graduate:  In large part thanks to help from folks like you here.  It's an icy day where I am today, so I have some time to spend looking around at the links you gave (and if anyone else has any to add, please do!).  Thanks again, RKilroy! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users