I have a Lenovo Miix 2 8 tablet running Windows 8 with only a Micro USB port (User guide and photos of ports/slots below).
I'd like to connect it to my external hard drive, thumb/flash drives, external CD/DVD reader/player, and a variety of projectors, new and old (I travel all over giving presentations and never know what kind of projector with what kind of hookups they will have.). I'm just learning how to use technology in my presentations (mostly Power Point, but also other photos, videos, music or other audio, etc.), so am not real well-versed in what it takes to connect to projectors, but have been learning online.
Here's what I'm thinking will allow me to be ready for anything. If anyone sees any flaws or omissions, would you let me know?
- One with a female USB A (standard USB) end and a male Micro USB end (for use with external drives, CD/DVD player, other adapters below)
- One with a male USB A end and female VGA end
- One with a male USB A end and female HDMI end -- Which kind of HDMI should I get? I'm thinking A will cover almost all, right? Or are any of the others very common? If so, which ones? B? E? Other?
- Gender changers for each of VGA, HDMI and USB - just in case (or should I not need these?)
- One extra long cord with a male USB A end and a female USB A end
Also, any advice on where to get these things, and who makes good, quality ones? I'd rather pay more to get something that lasts than go cheap and have it break at an inopportune time. If you know of a brand that is reliable and of good quality, please share. Same with seller (A friend suggested Fry's.com - good or bad?). I have no earthly idea who is a good maker or seller since I've just taken my chances off eBay or Amazon over the years and had varying results.
Lastly, I'm scared to death of hooking up the wrong thing in the wrong way with the wrong adapter and frying something. How much do I need to worry about that? I came across warnings of this when trying to hook one computer to another to transfer data via USB and am kind of jumpy about it now.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Here's the user manual for my tablet, with pages 7 and 8 showing the ports and jacks:
I have all shown except the SIM card slot (#3 on the list). I do have the Micro SD card slot, and another couple holes next to the card slot - I've no idea what they are. You can also see the Micro USB to the left of all that. Here's what the interior of that area looks like:
(It's a cold day, so they dogs are napping inside with me. ;)