Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do all stylus pens work with all touch screen devices?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The Redneck Hippie

The Redneck Hippie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

Do all stylus pens work with all touch screen devices?  If not, what kind do I need for a Lenovo Miix 2 tablet (Windows 8)?

Just a few days ago, I bought a new Lenovo Miix 2 tablet and am fast finding out just how fat my fingers are.  So I go looking for a stylus pen (or is it called just a "stylus"?) and am seeing so many options.  Soft touch tip, ultra-sensitive capacitive, universal (really?), hybrid (of what and what?) ...  And some say "For iPhones", "For Kindle Fires", or give a list of a lot of things. 

Never having had a touch pad device except a phone that came with it's own stylus, I'm lost.  Can anyone guide me in the right direction? 

Thanks in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

I can tell you from experience that all stylus devices are not created equal. I've seen both terms used. Stylus and stylus pens. The latter generally means it's a stylus and the other end is a ballpoint or microball ink pen. Everything I've bought for my tablet was trial and error finding one that fit my needs. Also one learning experience I can share is that you get what you pay for with regards to stylus's. Go cheap and it's liable to not last 3 months of average use and or do damage to your screen. Also if you have a screen protector even a decent quality stylus may not function flawlessly. Just be sure that what ever you buy has a decent return policy in case it doesn't work as expected. Be prepared for lots of trial and error.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 The Redneck Hippie

The Redneck Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Be prepared for lots of trial and error.

Well, crap.  That's what I was afraid of.  I'll just stop in at Radio Shack, Best Buy, Fry's, and any other electronics shop I pass and try them all out.  There was one seller on Amazon that looked good, so I might try that. 

Mind telling me what brand you ended up liking?  And do they all (the quality ones) work on all touch screens?  Or are they device-specific sometimes?

I'm with you on not cheaping out.  I'd rather pay a bit for something that will last. 

#4 The Redneck Hippie

The Redneck Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

Somehow I accidentally cut off the "Thanks, Animal!" that started that post.  So, thanks, Animal, belatedly.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

This is the one that works nicely with my Samsung tablet. But doesn't work as well on my neighbor's Kindle. Works sometimes on my HTC One phone. Thats why I'm reluctant to ever say one size fits all.

Decent quality for the price. http://www.amazon.com/YooMee-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Including-BlackBerry/dp/B007T3ZZAQ

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 The Redneck Hippie

The Redneck Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Gotcha.  So I think I'll forego ordering online at all and just see what I find in the stores.  I HATE sending things back that I've ordered online.  Such a hassle.  Thanks again for saving me from that trouble.  

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

You're quite welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

FWIW, this is what I use with my iPad:

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Corp-Bamboo-Stylus-Tablets/dp/B004VM0SE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390709527&sr=8-1&keywords=bamboo+stylus

I mainly use my finger for most things. I got the stylus for is I actually want to handwrite some things (I cannot get used to "handwriting" with my finger…i.e. like how some stores use tablets/phones to ring up purchases and have your sign using your finger).

It works well with my iPad and my iPhone. Have never used it with any other touchscreen devices (i.e. an Android tablet, etc). I will also note that I don't use a screen protector on any of my devices.

FWIW, Wacom has replacement nibs for this stylus and offer two different "nibs" types…soft and firm.

#9 The Redneck Hippie

The Redneck Hippie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Thanks, Smax013, for that recommendation.  I did pick one up at Office Max (their brand - about twelve bucks) and it's working okay.  It's not as precise at hitting the X to close tabs on browsers, but works better than my finger on most other things, especially handwriting in the Notebook app I have. 

But I don't like how soft the tip is.  I may try one of those firmer ones. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users