Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't run chkdsk program starts and says can't access volume then stops

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Hi, I am new to the forum and hoping to get some help with an old tired pc. I started having problems about a year ago when the computor contracted a serious trojan virus. It took over the pc and hyjacked the web browser. At the time we had a Dell tech service agreement and they rescued it for us. But said some processes were at risk. They could fix them for an additional charge which was quite a bit. We declined. Anyway long story short. it's a year later and we just lost our Verizon internet security suite after an upgrade by verizon to the virus program by mcafee. The other nite when a tech was trying to make it work he said the sys is way to slow and needs work, stating the windows installer is broken, the windows updater is not working and after trying to do a chkdsk said it's not responding. I also noticed that we cannot do a system restore and that no restore points have been made for awhile. We attempted to try running a defrag on the system and can't access that either. Any thoughts on what other then shooting this old thing we could do to rescue it. I am old school we do not use the pc much other then for bill paying some face book stuff and alittle web surfing from time to time. But being on social security it's kind of our life line for alot of important things. If it's any help i visited this site and downloaded the tuneup and repair program that was suggested. We ran it and it helped to speed it up but it will not fix most of the problems i outlined.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

In the 'my computer' link, how much hard drive is free?

#3 oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

Hi, and thanks for your reply It says i have 33.7 gb with 20.13 bg used and 13.52 available. I should say also that this is a Dell demension 4700. with windows XP home edtion,  if that helps.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

If it's never been formatted (since purchase) a clean install would be beneficial...

Download and run Microsoft Fix-it to diag and possibly fix the Installer and Update issue.

#5 oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

The drive hasn't been reformatted. So can i do something like reinstall windows XP home to repair it, it has SP3 ?. Microsoft fix it didn't repair either problem. Iam afraid it has some corrupted registry files or something.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

If you have an install disc and a valid key. XP has the option for a repair install, which will keep your personal data intact. You'll have to reinstall any 3rd party software, however.

I would backup your data just in case. If the hard drive has corruption it might not complete a repair install, leaving you with only the option to format.

#7 oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

I would have to reinstall all microsoft updates including SP3 after that correct?  I also have another question, sorry i ask so many, I had the defender security virus, which started all this about a year ago. Could the problems we are having now be a result of that? Dell used the malware bytes program and super antispyware program to fix it. Is there any other steps that could be done to check if they removed all of it? Thanks for any replies

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

Depending on what version of XP you have, you would need to install all the updates after it. If you have SP2 you would need to install SP3, if you have SP3 you would need to install the post SP3 updates. Autopatcher could make things go quickly, if you use it correctly.

It's tricky to recommend further cleanup, but I would say running a full scan of malwarebytes and possibly Adwcleaner, followed by Rogue Killer for good measure. Finally I would run the Junkware Removal Tool, but before you start installing updates. These are all available on this site.

Good Luck!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

If it's any help i visited this site and downloaded the tuneup and repair program that was suggested. We ran it and it helped to speed it up but it will not fix most of the problems i outlined.

This website does not recommend any "tuneup and repair program" of any sort...so I'm curious just where you got the idea that such is recommended.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 January 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Were you referring to the Windows Repair All in One tool??

#11 oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

I must opologise, the use of the word recommended was probably not appropriate in this circumstance. I visited the site looking for help and was scrolling through the tutorials, and we saw at the bottom of a list, i guess what is a commercial ad for the tool and clicked on that. it brought us to the tuneup utilities 2014 website where we downloaded it. We only assumed that if it was on the bleeping computor site it was something we could feel safe using. After reading the info on it we tried it, and like i said worked fine and speeded up the computor. Sorry if said something wrong.  

#12 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

Ah. I'd get rid of that.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,576 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Yes, please uninstall that ASAP :).

You are not the first person to not recognize a link as simply a typical browser/webpage ad.

Louis

#14 oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

OK,  I have uninstalled the tuneup 2014 software and performed runs of Malware bytes antivirus, Adware cleaner and Junkware removal tools. Then i ran the windows all in one tool, This fixed my Windows updates and i have spent the day running updates the system said i hadn't run updates in 14 months. It also said it fixed several other issues including windows installer. Then I cleaned up the disk with my control panel tools. I still couldn't run defrag and my disk was 17% fragmented. I downloaded the defraggle tool and that worked to defrag my disk. System is running alot better. The only thing i noticed was that blue screen that comes up at boot up it still says (The type of system disk is NTFS, Cannot open source volume, finished checking disk). This is the chkdsk that was scheduled to run, still won't work on command. It also stops the system Windows defrag program from working by saying it can't run defrag because there is a scheduled chkdsk command Reboot system. So this may or may not be still a problem. Anyone have a suggestion on what to do next? Short of reinstalling this old machine (which i really do not want to do) it seems for now to be running better.

#15 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

Hmmm. I would check your boot mgr and see if you havea second boot loader running.

Run msconfig and check your boot.ini settings.

This is probably a shot in the dark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users