Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tweak Now.com

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Fern

Silver Fern

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

I've just read up the previous post about 'tweaking' XP after reading about cleaning up the registery on another forum. I came across www.tweaknow.com freeware, seems ok.
The thing is, I'm not a novice with computers but nor am I an expert, are the registery cleaner programmes easy to operate and understand.?
Thanks
Life is a journey not a destination;
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

Programs that can alter or modify the registry can corrupt it as easily as you can corrupt it yourself.

Unless you are competent at writing to the registry it is really not a good idea to modify it or use aps that do.

If you do alter the registry make sure you make a good backup first so you can revert to it should you have problems.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

I would have to second, what Enthusiast advised.
The Registry, is not something to go playing around with, if you don't know what you're doing, unless you enjoy reinstalling Windows. :thumbsup:

Seriously, this is one situation where, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", definitely applies.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:35 PM

Thanks, I had the feeling that, that might apply. :thumbsup:
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:55 PM

You're quite welcome, Silver Fern.
Just trying to spare you, some grief. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:59 PM

I decided to REGEDIT my computer, and was disgusted to see so many files with expilicit sexual references. I made the choice that no way did I want or need this kind of thing in my computer so deleted them. Obviously there is no problems, I'll continue to monitor things.
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:36 PM

If you have registry entries that have explicit sexual references you are infected by malware.

Run both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from safe mode, updating each program before you scan and allowing both to fix what they find.

*AdAware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your problem.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in one folder may be fine while in another may be malware.

A member of our HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the repair process.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make it different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria they have when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log to work on might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT log in the Hijack This Forum (not here) and wait for a response from a team member.

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 May 2006 - 05:38 PM.

#8 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:16 PM

Thanks for your reply, I scan with Adaware and Spybot S&D every day, and always check for their updates, they don't mention any Malware, in fact Spybot seldom, if ever finds anything. I may be missing something so I'll go to the websites you mention and give them another try.

Edited by Silver Fern, 19 May 2006 - 11:18 PM.

Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#9 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:42 PM

I scanned with both these products Spybot found nothing, Adaware found 16 negligible objects.
A programme that has been recommended is CCleaner to clean the Registry.

Edited by Silver Fern, 19 May 2006 - 11:45 PM.

Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:02 AM

IF CCleaner found entries such as those you listed your computer has been infected.

Malware can hide other places than the registry.

I suggest you do the HJT process as described above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users