Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 quits loading just before login screen....Please Help!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sablehs

Sablehs

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

On a regular boot it gets past the windows logo and then goes to a blank screen, no cursor nothing....it never loads to login.   Did a complete recovery and it still does the same thing.  It will boot into safe mode.  It will also boot after removing the display adaptor but I believe that is because it goes into VGA mode or something like that.  Please help, not sure what to do.  Should I just replace the hard drive and start over?

Karin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) In safe mode, uninstall the display adapter driver. Then download and install the latest driver from the website of the card's manufacturer.

3) If the problem persists, replace the display adapter.

#3 Sablehs

Sablehs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

The only thing different was an Windows update and possible malware.....which is why after being frustrated I did a factory reset.   I will try loading the new display driver. Thank you

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Be sure that Windows Update is set to install only critical updates. Do not let it install drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users