Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local Printing W/remote Desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 loven2bfree

loven2bfree

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:48 PM

I am desperate!! :thumbsup: I am working from home via remote desktop, and need to print my reports on the local printer here. However, all 3 of my printers have usb connections, and the remote desktop link does not recognize them. Any time I print it goes to the default printer for the server in my office 10 miles away! 2 of the printers are all-in-one printers and one is printer only....I can however, print w/an old parallel port printer, but the quality is poor. What am I missing? How can a SAP or SAP pro supported program like remote desktop only have the capability to use an ancient printer?
Please-anybody-HELP!

Edited by loven2bfree, 10 May 2006 - 02:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:09 AM

Have you thought about using a print server for your printer? This would make them available to the entire LAN\intranet.

USB Print Server
Wireless USB
3 port USB Server

Edited by acklan, 10 May 2006 - 08:09 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 loven2bfree

loven2bfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:37 AM

sorry to sound ignorant, but I have never heard of such a thing! Would designating a print server actually allow me to use one of my home printers while still allowing the girls in the office to use the office printer? In other words, having a print server would allow me to print via remote printer? :thumbsup:

#4 loven2bfree

loven2bfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:58 AM

okay, my boss just let me know he does have a print server at the office-this is how all the computers can print w/out any computer being on. So I guess my next step is to figure out how to attach my home printer to the print server......

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:42 AM

The printer server will come with the drivers and sofware you need. It will plug into a ethernet port on your router just like your computer(s) do to connect to your LAN. It is not difficult.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:18 AM

You say you are working on a remote desktop and want to print on your own printer at home.

Can you save the file you are working on locally? If you can then save it locally and exit out of the remote desktop and print it on you own printer.

The other way to do this is to talk to someone in your IT department at work and ask them if they will set you up with the proper permissions and also setting up your home printer for access from their network.

#7 loven2bfree

loven2bfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:58 AM

The software our ofc uses is a dental software and does not allow me to save locally-tried that!! Feel like I treid EVERYTHING!!
As far as a "department" at work-I'm it!! :thumbsup: I am the ofc mngr for a small practice, and the Doc and I are both having the same prob. at our homes. He just ordered 2 parallel port printers tha we can use and thus solving the prob by simply avoiding it...it just seems CRAZY because we had such a hard time finding a parallel printer due to the "ancient"ness of it! They say they r fazing them out since usb (I agree) is so much faster/better. Hmmmm.....There's gotta be a better way.
FYI-my laptop does not have a usb ehanced avail, even though I have XP Pro and both/all upgrades. My ports are "virtual" and just listed as "usb" under device mngr w/no other tab at all-so I was hoping to find a way to download an enhanced usb but there is no way.MSN only gives the option to receive the enhanced w/an upgrade or update and unfortunatly I do not show that I need any..... :flowers:

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:31 AM

Ok I did not know you were the IT department. I seem to have had that position for my computer user group for the last 15 years. Here is something that should help and please print it out before doing it, this is from the Microsoft Knowledge Base and hopefully it should work.

How To Make a Local Printer Available During a Connection to a Remote Desktop in Windows XP Professional

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312135/en-us

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users