Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly-built PC keeps shutting down (Windows 8)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cjones3986

cjones3986

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:20 AM

My old PC was about 6 or 7 years old, ran Vista, and had a fried video card. It seemed like a good time to get a new one.

I didn't know the first thing about putting together a PC, but I know several people that fancy themselves to be experts and couldn't stop telling me how easy it is. Finally, my buddy convinced me that we could build one together, so we sat down at pcpartpicker.com and got started. I ordered half the parts from New Egg, and half from Amazon, then followed Youtube videos for detailed instructions on how to put everything together properly.

I paid close attention to detail while watching the videos and while reading the manuals, so I am confident that there are not loose wires, poorly-inserted cards, or anything in the wrong slots, but that's about the limit of my self-diagnosis capabilities. According to PC Part Picker, all the components are compatible.

Here's a list of what I put in it:

ASRock Z87 Extreme

MSI Radeon HD 7870

Intel Core i5-4670K LGA1150

Seasonic G-650 SSR-650RM Active PFC F3

Crucial M4 128GB SSD

Ballistix 2x 4GB DDR3-1600 CL8

Additionally, a 1TB HDD, a Blu-Ray burner, a DVD-rom drive, and a USB multi-card reader

Everything seemed to go pretty well during the build, but the first video card I got was 100% non-functional, so I had to return it to New Egg for an exchange. The replacement card has not had any problems, so I think the first one was just defective, and not a compatibility issue.

I had no issues installing Windows 8 (64 bit). I built the PC in my kitchen with no Internet connection, so I had to call the automated number to validate my copy, rather than registering it online.

Here's where I started having the issue with the PC shutting down. I brought it into my office 3 days ago, unplugged my old crappy machine, and hooked this one up in its place. As soon as I turned it on, I needed to install the correct drivers. ASRock has a cool feature that allowed me to install current drivers with a USB stick rather than using the DVD drive, so I opted for that method. First, of course, I installed the LAN driver. Next, before noticing that there was an "install all" button, I started at the top of the list and installed one at a time.

The first 3 or 4 drivers I clicked on installed perfectly, but then I noticed I could do them all in one click, so I clicked "install all". It started to install several things at once, then shut down completely. I thought it must be restarting, so I waited a few minutes, but it never came back on. I turned it on with the power button, and as soon as it flashed the Windows 8 logo, it shut down again. I turned it on once more, and the same thing happened. I turned it on again, and I don't remember even seeing the Windows logo before it shut down the third time. It was obviously frustrating, so I was going to try safe mode (not that I would even know what to do once it was in safe mode). I hit the wrong key (because I actually have no idea what I'm doing while using computers, if that wasn't already obvious enough), and I booted up the BIOS. After escaping the BIOS, I got a message that Windows 8 could not load, and I would need to revert to a previous state. After clicking OK, Windows 8 eventually loaded, and I was back to square one, without the LAN driver installed, and with original defaults (desktop shortcuts, etc.) It was too late at night to keep trying, so I shut down the PC and went to bed.

The next day, I booted it up to make a second attempt. I thought that maybe one of the drivers that was being installed in the package was causing a problem, so I just installed one at a time. The first few installed just fine, and then while installing something that had installed perfectly before (I think the HD audio drivers), it shut down. Upon reboot, I was greeted with a message that Windows had not shut down properly, and that it was restoring my previous session, but nothing was reverted. A quick search online suggested that perhaps my power save settings were causing the computer to shut down, so I set it to never turn off automatically. I gave up on installing updates, used the PC for a bit (paying bills, and a few other things), and manually shut it down for the day.

Yesterday, everything booted up just fine, and I used it for about 2 hours straight. I listened to music, installed the newest Windows 8 updates, bought things on Amazon, paid more bills, set up my favorites in Chrome, registered passwords that hadn't been stored on this PC yet, etc, and I had absolutely no problems. When I was finished working, I went to the Windows Store, and tried to download Windows 8.1. It was taking a while, so I left it, and I went to bed. When I got up this morning, the PC had shut itself down again. When I booted it up, I was informed that Windows 8.1 did not install correctly, and I would be reverted to Windows 8. My assumption was that the install was interrupted by the shut down. I tried to install it again just for fun earlier tonight, and the exact same thing happened.

I've searched for solutions online, and most solutions show that there is probably an overheating problem. Since all the parts are brand new, and the case has fans on the top, front, side, and back, I don't think it could be an overheating issue. All the fans are blowing cool air. The other suggestion I keep finding is to change the power save settings. I've changed the power save option to never sleep, and I don't have the option to unclick the "Turn on Fast Startup" box in the Control Panel, which was a common suggestion I saw as well.

Any help is very much appreciated. At this point, I don't know if I have defective or incompatible hardware, or if Windows isn't set to ideal settings, or what. I need to be able to rely on this computer for my business, and this shutdown issue is causing me major problems right now.

Thanks,

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hi, I think what you describe could be caused by either hardware or software - I'm unsure which.  To give us a more complete picture of what's happening, I recommend downloading Speccy and publishing a snapshot (paste the link to the snapshot in your next post), this will allow us to see current hardware details, temperatures and certain other information.   Also download Mini Toolbox and select all of the "list" options, including list *all* devices and paste the output into your post.  This will give information about your Windows setup and details of errors that have been logged by the system.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 cjones3986

cjones3986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

Thank you jonuk. I ran Speccy, and it showed that my processor was at 98 degrees. I took out the silly little thermal pad and applied Arctic Silver 5 instead. Now it's running at 35-40 degrees all the time.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Ouch, that was much too hot. Has the problem now been solved?

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

I've heard of issues with 8.1 upgrades, so I'm keeping my 8 Prime (8.0) until windows 9, if I still have the same system.

Prebuilt 8.1 systems seem to be stable, though.

#6 cjones3986

cjones3986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Yes, jonuk. Everything is running fine now. I've run Speccy several more times since then to make sure it's staying at a low enough temperature. Thanks again for the suggestion.

#7 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:20 AM

Protip: HWmonitor is a better tool for monitoring Temps and voltages from within windows. It's lightweight and runs on anything.

It also logs every reading as long as it's open wich let's you see the MAX temps you achieve during a burntest for example.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users