Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsing speed is fine, until someone else plugs into the router.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

I know this is a common problem with a simple answer, but I forgot what the answer was. 

Okay, so I'm browsing normally, no problems with anything taking too long to load. But then as soon as someone else jacks into the router, I get problems with loading things. 

Now I forgot, which of these things is usually used to solve that? A better router? Faster internet service? Both? Something else? 

Also, which of these things would help me with computers that don't get very good browsing speed while connecting wirelessly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

The reason your connectiion appears to slow down is that your ISP provides a certain amount of bandwidth to your connection and this is divided among all the computers connected to it.

So you have, say, a 5Mbs connection, then one computer gets the whole 5Mbs to itself, 5 computers it's 1Mbps per computer. It's not quite as simple as that, it depends a lot on what the various users are doing, but that basically is what is happening.

Unless you have a very fast internet connection, the limiting factor is the speed of your internet connection to your ISP.

Connecting by wireless, as opposed to ethernet, is almost always slower, although the reduction may be very small. It depends on a lot of factors which include : distance from the router; structural materials between the computer and the router; alignment and positiioning of the various aerials.

For computers with reduced browsing speed using wi-fi, probably the biggest difference you can make is to play around with the aerial position. As an example, I use a USB dongle on my desktop which is mounted using a magnetic clip and a short extension cable at the very front top of the right hand side. if the mounting clip slips down by as little as half an inch ( 1.25 cm ) I lose about 25% of my signal !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Alright thanks, that's the answer I was looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users