Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless works but not ethernet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pressST4RT

pressST4RT

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:05 AM

Hey guys,

I'm not sure what the issue is but for some reason my wireless connections are working fine but my wired connections are giving me an "Unidentified Network".

I'm using my laptop right now to write this post, so it can connect to the network. When I tried to plug in the ethernet cord from my desktop to my laptop to test it, that wouldn't work either. I've tried connecting it directly to the modem, still with no success. 

My ipconfig says that there is no default gateway. Here's a copy of that, by the way:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hobbit_Hole
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : 
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : 
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 50-46-5D-8E-A4-5C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.44.149(Preferred) 
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{667E11A7-3CFE-4332-9D41-D4EA40D35E72}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : 
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Thanks in advance

EDIT: My grandmother just got here and she tried to connect her computer to the internet through wifi but hers isn't working. I have two connections set up, and standard one and a 5G_2Gext one. It seems that the 5G wireless connection isn't connecting, either (along with the ethernet).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

Do not see any wireless adapter in that post.  All I am seeing is a Wired adapter, which is the Realtek PCIe GBE.  Post a screenshot of the Network Devices in Device manager.

#3 pressST4RT

pressST4RT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

Do not see any wireless adapter in that post.  All I am seeing is a Wired adapter, which is the Realtek PCIe GBE.  Post a screenshot of the Network Devices in Device manager.

That's because I'm using my laptop to connect wirelessly. I don't have a wireless adapter for my desktop.

#4 pressST4RT

pressST4RT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

[SOLVED]

Thanks to all that tried to help but I fixed the issue. I unplugged everything and just let it sit for half an hour and then I set it all back up and voila! Everything suddenly works fine. Again, I thank you so very much for your help!

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

[SOLVED]

Thanks to all that tried to help but I fixed the issue. I unplugged everything and just let it sit for half an hour and then I set it all back up and voila! Everything suddenly works fine. Again, I thank you so very much for your help!

No one helped you, due to you never posted the info on the machine that was having issues.  As for unplugging everything and plugging back in, yes it can restart the wireless, but next time please post the relevant info on the machine having problems, not one that is unrelated to the issue at hand.

#6 Shivang Goley

Shivang Goley

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

Try it with ethernet cable!

#7 pressST4RT

pressST4RT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

[SOLVED]

No one helped you, due to you never posted the info on the machine that was having issues.  As for unplugging everything and plugging back in, yes it can restart the wireless, but next time please post the relevant info on the machine having problems, not one that is unrelated to the issue at hand.

Literally the first post is the information about the system having the problems. And I tried resetting it before, but I didn't leave it unplugged for half an hour last time. Please get your information straight before posting. Thanks!

Try it with ethernet cable!

My ethernet is all working fine now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users