Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Not recognized after build

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

Hey guys I currently built a new desktop with these parts:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2G1jt

I initially had all 3 drives in the hot swappable bays and connected but when I formatted Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit onto the 160 GB drive, neither windows nor bios could recognize the caviar blue 1 tb and the caviar black was recognized but not available to browse. I thought it might be using the hot swappable bays so I moved the caviar blue down to a normal bay and still nothing. All drives are from a previous build which worked fine before moving over except the caviar blue which was a new purchase.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get these two drives working properly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

Assuming they have power and a SATA connection they should at least be recognised by the BIOS, and show up in the drives list in BIOS.  If they aren't even doing that, then they are not going to work.  Is the SATA mode set to IDE, AHCI or RAID in BIOS?  AHCI is needed to support hot swapping, but are they recognised if you change the mode to IDE?

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

Assuming they have power and a SATA connection they should at least be recognised by the BIOS, and show up in the drives list in BIOS.  If they aren't even doing that, then they are not going to work.  Is the SATA mode set to IDE, AHCI or RAID in BIOS?  AHCI is needed to support hot swapping, but are they recognised if you change the mode to IDE?

Correct, they are connected with power and SATA and only the caviar black and 160 gb drive are recognized by bios but only the 160 gb in windows, the caviar blue isn't recognized by any of it. I believe the SATA mode is AHCI but I could be wrong. I know for sure it isn't in a RAID.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

I would plug the non working drive into the bay of one the working drives (pull the others) test one drive at a time by going into bios and see if it is recognized. If the drive is not recognized in the same bay as a working drive was, the drive itself has a problem. Check the sata connections on the drive itself and see if they are ok.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

One other suggestion. If the drives are recognized by the BIOS setup but not showing up in Windows, Are they showing up in Disk management? diskmgmt.msc in the search box.

This is what it should look like.

diskmgmt.jpg

Disk 0 is the Boot Drive, In my case Disk 1 and disk 2 are externals. They would look the same as internal drives. If they do not show NTSC or FAT32 that would be the problem.

You can ignore the Unallocated on 2 of my my drives as that is dedicated space for overprovisioning.

If Any of Yours show Unallocated that will keep them from showing a drive letter as will if they show as RAW.

Warning! Please read this first.
Make no changes to them if there is any data on them You do not want to lose.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:44 AM

One other suggestion. If the drives are recognized by the BIOS setup but not showing up in Windows, Are they showing up in Disk management? diskmgmt.msc in the search box.

This is what it should look like.

diskmgmt.jpg

Disk 0 is the Boot Drive, In my case Disk 1 and disk 2 are externals. They would look the same as internal drives. If they do not show NTSC or FAT32 that would be the problem.

You can ignore the Unallocated on 2 of my my drives as that is dedicated space for overprovisioning.

If Any of Yours show Unallocated that will keep them from showing a drive letter as will if they show as RAW.

Warning! Please read this first.
Make no changes to them if there is any data on them You do not want to lose.

Good Luck

Roger

The black caviar and the 160 gb are shown in disk management but the blue caviar isnt. Also, under my computer it only shows the 160gb available

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

What does diskmanagement show for the WD Black? NTFS, Fat32, Raw etc.?

Have You tried the WD Blue on the same connectors as the WD Black to see if it shows then?

Four possibilities, Bad Data cable, Bad power cable, Bad Drive, Bad Motherboard port.

Look at the connectors on the WD Blue, Are they OK or damaged?

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 January 2014 - 01:02 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:17 AM

What does diskmanagement show for the WD Black? NTFS, Fat32, Raw etc.?

Have You tried the WD Blue on the same connectors as the WD Black to see if it shows then?

Four possibilities, Bad Data cable, Bad power cable, Bad Drive, Bad Motherboard port.

Look at the connectors on the WD Blue, Are they OK or damaged?

Good Luck

Roger

Yes everything looks fine and all the parts are new minus the caviar black and 160 gb drive. The cables are all new as well. I've tried moving the disks around and no luck (minus the 160gb being it is hosting windows) And the caviar black shows in disk management as ntfs and healthy and online but my only options are shrink volume, properties, help and change letter drives and paths

Edited by SmokeViper07, 26 January 2014 - 02:18 AM.

#9 zooterman

zooterman

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Have you formatted the drive, you can do this in disk management, set a primary partition, if you have already done this sorry for wasting your time.

Wal

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

Since You say that You have switched the power and Data cables with ones from a working drive, I believe it may be time to investigate doing a warranty on the WD Blue drive. Hopefully there is nothing on it of any importance.

This page should let You check the warranty for Western Digital drives.

http://support.wd.com/warranty/index_end.asp?lang=en

One quick question when You power up the computer do you hear any sound from it? If You put a finger on it do You feel any vibrations?

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 January 2014 - 03:23 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#11 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Since You say that You have switched the power and Data cables with ones from a working drive, I believe it may be time to investigate doing a warranty on the WD Blue drive. Hopefully there is nothing on it of any importance.

This page should let You check the warranty for Western Digital drives.

http://support.wd.com/warranty/index_end.asp?lang=en

One quick question when You power up the computer do you hear any sound from it? If You put a finger on it do You feel any vibrations?

Good Luck

Roger

Unfortunately, that sounds like my only option, the caviar black has data I need to keep but the blue was ordered new. I don't hear any sounds but then again, my case fans are kinda loud.

Have you formatted the drive, you can do this in disk management, set a primary partition, if you have already done this sorry for wasting your time.

Actually, it doesn't even recognize it in disk management so I can't even attempt that

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Is the Blue new enough that You can return it where You bought it? It is always preferable in my opinion to exchange a DOA (Dead on Arivval) for another new drive. If You go through Western Digital you may get a refurbished drive as a replacement.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

Is the Blue new enough that You can return it where You bought it? It is always preferable in my opinion to exchange a DOA (Dead on Arivval) for another new drive. If You go through Western Digital you may get a refurbished drive as a replacement.

Good Luck

Roger

Yes it is new enough, though I got it online so it may be more hassle than it's worth

EDIT: I just put in for a return/refund  of the blue caviar drive though I still have the persisting problem with the black caviar drive with data on it. Any suggestions for solutions?

Edited by SmokeViper07, 27 January 2014 - 04:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users