Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help, But Not Really Sure Where To Post This...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 s14lenny

s14lenny

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

Hi, Im not really sure if this is normal or not but i have tons of processes running when i start my computer(about 33 to be exact). Is this normal or should i do something about it. Any help would be apprieciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:28 PM

Whether or not you have too many processes running when you start your computer depends on what applications you have chosed to launch on start up. Many of these are optional (Office, media players, browsers) and are launched on boot so that they are available quickly if you need them; the other side of the coin is that, for that ease in opening them, you sacrifice some system resources whilst they "tap their feet" waiting a click.
You may review these processes using the BC Startup Database found at the top of any page. If you have Spybot installed, you can use its startup tool to kill any applications that are optional or unneeded.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 s14lenny

s14lenny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:24 PM

Okay, I did as you advised and used my Spybot but i still have the same amount of processes running on startup, plus i have 5 svchost.exe's running....not sure if that is normal or not. I looked on your Startup Programs list you have on this site and most of the svchost.exe are bad :thumbsup: If there is anyway to get rid of them or if you can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Fairly Alarmed,

s14lenny

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:57 PM

Are they running as startups or as processes?

Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that are run from dynamic-link libraries called DLLs. This is a valid system process that belongs to the Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. The file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.

Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP

Microsoft has replaced tlist.exe with tasklist.exe in XP. Tlist.exe lets you list all the processes running on your machine and the associated task name and memory usage. Tasklist.exe replicates all the functionality of the original utility and displays a list of active processes. The /SVC switch shows the list of active services in each process.

To view the list of services that are running in Svchost:
1. Click Start on the Windows taskbar, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type CMD, and then press ENTER.
3. Type Tasklist /SVC, and then press ENTER.

For information about tasklist.exe, type the following at the XP command prompt: tasklist /?
For more information about a process, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
Tasklist /FI "PID eq processID" (with the quotes)

You can also download and use Process Explorer by Sysinternals to investigate all processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users