Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Calling all kiwis...and Aussies!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Ok, I'm wondering, how badly skewed are prices in NZ and AU compared to the states? Lets say for example if I wanted to get a desktop that's a core i5, 4gb ram, 500gb hd, windows 7 home, ati 5770. In US that would be about $450, comparable how would that be in NZ and AU? Is it more lucrative to buy a computer when I get there, or pay shipping/possible import to ship my computers over? (Note: my desktop is not a 5770, I just used those specs as an example of something.) Also, how lucrative is the computer repair business in NZ or AU? I'm looking to see if my skills are in demand there. I know the NZ economy is stronger than the US. Any help would be appreciated. :3

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

You may want to check this site out http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/ and perform a simple currency conversion to get a base line.  You would have to build computers on various sites to determine the fluctation in prices from store to store.

#3 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

Thank you. But I'm currently aware of the current exchange rate. I'm just trying to get a gauge on what others pay for parts locally, and when they buy online.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

Mate you would get parts cheap if you buil it your self and use the sites like pccasegearDOTcom. prices would be slightly higher now the ozzy $ is getting around 88 cents but as fara s work laod goes, yeh there is a fair bit of work where i live (Northern Australia in QLD), depends on what you know and what you can bring to the table but generally home repairs are limited. be best to get a shop front of some sort but you wont know unless you venture over and scout the local talent pool.

core i5, 4gb ram, 500gb hd, windows 7 home, ati 5770. In US that would be about $450, would be about $600 here. No money is building them here, just repair and maintenance.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 23 January 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#5 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:12 AM

So it's more lucrative to be in the computer repair field and building if I were to go there?

#6 zelphirey

zelphirey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

1. NZ economy stronger than the US? Really? First I've heard of it. In Australia be prepared for a shock on prices generally, compared to US. The new govt just handed down it's budget and apparently we're all up the proverbial creek without a puddle, we just needed them to inform us of this. Sorry I can't really offer much regarding  your chances of getting work. I live in Sydney, it can be an expensive place to live. I've met people who found it easier to get a visa for New Zealand and then hopped across to Australia to check things out. Seems to me that New Zealand is a lot more relaxed and you can expert a lot more bureaucratic stuffing around here.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:21 AM

You can try ebay as well, When you look at the item you normaly get a price in Aud or NZD.

Eg

this is only an example to show you the price in USD and AUD in my case.

Dell D600 laptop

Price:
US $45.00
Approximately AU $48.82
Now add to that any shipping and you have an answer.

In Australia be prepared for a shock on prices generally, compared to US. The new govt just handed down it's budget and apparently we're all up the proverbial creek without a puddle, we just needed them to inform us of this

Bah Liberal Government propaganda to increase taxes and cut services we still have a tripple a rating with S&P

S&P rejects Tony Abbott’s budget warning on AAA credit rating

TONY Abbott’s charge that Labor is threatening Australia’s AAA credit rating has been discredited, after a leading ratings agency rejected claims it was poised to review the nation’s credit score.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/sp-rejects-tony-abbotts-budget-warning-on-aaa-credit-rating/story-fn59niix-1226923863924

Tony Rabbit.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 May 2014 - 05:27 AM.

#8 zelphirey

zelphirey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:45 PM

Also despite denials, GST will most like be back within a year. Expect many more weasel words about why all these extra payments are NOT taxes! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users