Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer cannot get online but is connected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigbusiness

bigbusiness

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

Out of the blue my computer stopped being able to get online. It connects to wifi networks and I can plug into a modem directly but the software will not allow it to access online whatsoever. I can get on via safe mode with networking so I know it's not hardware. I believe it is a proxy issue or something blocking it from the connection. I turned off system restore so I can't go back like that and I really don't feel like reformatting just yet. I have windows 7 home and I have ran malware software with no malware showing up. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bigbusiness

bigbusiness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

Cancel the help.  I figured out that Comodo Firewall was blocking me from getting online so I deleted it and plan to reinstall.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

I would not reinstall Comodo or any other third party Firewall software.  The Firewall that comes with Windows will work just fine.  If you only use the computer on your own home network and do not take it to public hot spots, your router will suffice in protecting you, so you really have no need to enable the firewall when on your home network.

#4 bigbusiness

bigbusiness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

Awesome advice Greg62702.  I never had one but I was told to get one from my brother and he's into computers a little more than I am.  I never had one on my last computer and never had any issues.  With this computer I do hop on public hot spots a handful of days every month with my business.  Do you think I will be alright without a third party firewall software in that case?

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

People think all because Windows does not prompt you on outgoing connections that get blocked that you have to go out here and download a third party firewall like Comodo and etc in order to feel at ease, when in all reality like Greg said Windows is working in the background protecting you the whole time. Turn on the SPI firewall in your router and download you some good anti virus, and you're set for life..

Edited by chrisd87, 23 January 2014 - 12:21 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users