Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezing and resetting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oddrifle

oddrifle

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hi. My computer has been freezing and then resetting randomly, from intervals of 1-5 hours of usage. It resets during actual usage only. All resets were done while I was browsing the web, or writing in word, but I've only been doing that for the past few days. I've let the computer go idle, without putting it into sleep mode, and it didn't restart after I woke up in the morning.

Computer is a Windows 7, AMD Athlon II X4 635, Nvidia GTX460, 600 watt power supply.

-The ram and CPU were not under considerable strain at the time of reset failure.

-I've checked the main windows files integrity and verified it, no problems.

-I've used CoreTemp and found nothing wrong with the cpu temperatures. I've even applied a new coat of thermal paste.

-I played a resource intensive game for my system (Natural Selection 2) for 2 hours without incident, so I suppose it's not the graphics card.

-I've reseated the ram, hdd, graphics card.

-I have an uninterrupted power supply. I've tested both using it and not using it, to no avail.

Please suggest what you may think to be the likeliest culprit.

Edited by oddrifle, 22 January 2014 - 05:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

Go Here and download Open Hardware utility (*free); put it on your desktop and double-click on the icon. Check your CPU temperature for overheating. I couldn't see that is your problem if you are using the unit for gaming hours at a time, but I have seen stranger things and it is a quick & easy check.

Edited by ranchhand1, 22 January 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#3 oddrifle

oddrifle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Hmm, perhaps you can help me read this...

Speedfan and Open Hardware Monitor both report this:

Temperature 1: 34c average

Temperature 2: 38c average

Temperature 3: 79c, and holding with no fluctuations

The GPU core is at 38 c.

Core Temp reports a minimum of 25c and a maximum of 28c... No mention of the problematic 79c.

What does Temp 3 represent, and what can I do about it?

Edited by oddrifle, 22 January 2014 - 07:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users