Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paypal Email

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rok_Hard_CDN

Rok_Hard_CDN

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

I have recently received an email from Paypal. I have never used paypal in my life, nor do I plan to. I immidiately became suspicious, and went to the actual Paypal.com website. There, there was a help section that listed fraudulant email formats and such, as well as the intructions to froward the email to 'spoof@paypal.com'. This I did, but I was wondering if there was any way to detect exactly where the email originated. I suppose I'm after a type of passive vigilante justice, but all the same, I think I might find solace and satisfaction in knowing that these people have been tracked. Thanks in advance to all that can provide any guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:37 PM

Many of the phishers are very clever at covering up their tracks, and it takes some sophistication to track them down. Submitting the complete E-mail to Paypal is the best action you could take.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:49 PM

You can see what the name of the web site is that the link on the email refers you to. Then you search out the owner of the domain name. But it will all be false, and in about 48 hours they will be long gone and you won't track them down. Often this is done from Russia or Eastern Europe. They set everything up in advace, send out the phishing emails, gather as much info as they can in a day or two and then disapear.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users