Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I delete traces of Java

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

Many months ago I uninstalled java v7.something.something

I see under <user>\ApplicationData\Sun directory for alternate admin and me and one other user.

There are installers going as far back as v6.

At this point I renamed them, but can I just delete \Sun totally? That'll save me 1/2 gig of space :)

What about registry - if any junk there? Ccleaner doesn't see anything java in registry scan.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

You can safely delete everything in there except:
File: Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\deployment.properties
Folder: Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\security

The rest should mostly be just temporary file and the installers which are pretty much useless since Java is already installed.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

Thanks.

Before I do the cleanup, I looked at the properties - it just has various deployment settings last used, and \security has something about certificates, old as well.

So, to keep me learning, can you tell why I need to keep those? What would happen if there was no \Sun altogether? Would I burn in Sun/Oracle hell or something?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

You can just remove Java entirely, if you like.

Java Use, Quietman7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516886/problems-with-browsing-this-page-cant-be-displayed/?p=3231066

Louis

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

You can delete them safely too. Some will be recreated depending on if you go to Java settings...and you should to make sure Java is disabled in the browser.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

hamluis, ok I will just get rid of the \Sun\java folders totally. I will not preserve the items .X. suggested. I will not touch the millions of traces in the registry - too scared to meddle there. Quietman's links have no details on a complete removal, just to uninstall and why. I can't imagine why I'd need those folders and if I were to install java for something I would think it'll be a new installation that Oracle will handle (or not).

.X. - I don't have java in the browsers in a long time time. I can't go into java settings since I don't have java :)

Edited by tos226, 22 January 2014 - 10:41 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

JavaRa checks if your computer has the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE). If the version you have installed has been superseded by a newer version the program will download and install the newer version for you, by running Javas update program. JavaRa then allows you to remove all possible older versions of this program.

JavaRa is an effective way to deploy, update and remove the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Its most significant feature is the JRE Removal tool; which forcibly deletes files, directories and registry keys associated with the JRE. This can assist in repairing or removing Java when other methods fail.

JavaRa by SingularLabs

How to Completely Remove Java Using JavaRa
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users