Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

$500 New Build Optimized/Compatible for Price?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thalim90

thalim90

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: This week.

Budget Range: $600~ After rebates and after shipping/taxes.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Heavy duty gaming/workstation performance maxed at price point.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, included below.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.com and Newegg.

Parts Preferences: None, performance for price points is everything.

Overclocking: I would like the option to.

SLI or Crossfire: Not necessary but welcome.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1600x900.

Additional Comments: Quiet PC great, worried about motherboard RAM speed vs bought RAM speed (1333 vs 1600). Would like it to run 24/7 near full load.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Heavy gaming/workstation use near 24/7.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($47.49 @ Newegg)
Memory:  Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($51.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card:  Asus Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card  ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Case:  Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply:  Antec 450W ATX Power Supply  ($37.10 @ Amazon)
Monitor:  ViewSonic VA2037m-LED 20.0" Monitor  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard:  Microsoft Keyboard 200 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($11.99 @ Mwave)
Total: $583.20
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-22 13:34 EST-0500)

Thanks for all reviews, updates and help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thalim90

thalim90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

Already ordered the CPU and GPU so no changing it now, and im happy with it anyway.

As for the motherboard and RAM - any recommendations for under around $50-60 that has similar features and quality but has 1600 ram support?

Also, will everything here fit?

Also I replaced the HDD with:
samsung evo 120 gb SSD - how to adjust

build/mobo for it?

thinking about upgrading to this for renewed needs:
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-SATA-6Gbps-Motherboards-GA-970A-DS3P/dp/B00DJ3DWN2/ref=zg_bs_1048424_20

Edited by thalim90, 22 January 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

Well as the second board you are looking at is a full ATX size, you'll need a different case as it won't fit in a MicroATX case.  As a fairly low cost case, I like my Corsair 200R which has some nice high end-ish features but without costing a lot.  It's a little more expensive than the MicroATX one you've chosen.  Personally I'd use 120 Gb up very quickly (my Windows directory alone is 30Gb), so I'd need some  extra storage, but I guess it depends on how you use the PC.  If it's within the budget, I'd consider an aftermarket cooler, as the AMD solutions, while it will get you up and running, have a reputation for being quite noisy and will be outperformed by a decent upgraded one.

It appears the first board does not support the CPU you've chosen, so just as well you looked at changing it - http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4643 (looks like it only works with up to 95w CPU's to me).  The second board works fine with it though.  I like Gigabyte boards in general, never used that particular one though, but I'd expect it to do the job.

EDIT: A couple of alternative bits in here that come to around the same price altogether.  Adding the SSD puts the cost up a bit, have a look - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2G3co

Edited by jonuk76, 23 January 2014 - 01:18 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 thalim90

thalim90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

1) Big concern, will this PC be quiet  enough in my room to sleep with? It'll be on 24/7. Its pretty important  and that case has great cooling with mesh/openness but also b/c of that it  will be pretty noisy? How do I adjust? I'm used to a laptop at night - inspiron 1520 (old lol).

2) Will I be able to overclock to max safe long run level for the CPU with this mobo? IF not, any suggestions for price to performance ratio mobo/cooling option alternatives?

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

I can't speak with any authority on overclocking that chip, but most overclockers seem to use boards based on the 990FX chipset.  These are about double the price of what you are looking at so far.  Budget boards are not made with serious overclocking in mind, although they usually are able to do some.  For overclocking you will need better cooling than the stock CPU cooler can provide.  Something like a Corsair H60 which is an entry level liquid cooler would be worth checking.  This also fits the brief of quiet (ish).   Otherwise a large air cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo.  I'd also strongly recommend a larger PSU for something that's going to be run overclocked, 24/7 with high loads to be on the safe side, as overclocking can seriously push up the power draw. 

All this is going to blow your budget out of the window of course..  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Grmw

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 thalim90

thalim90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

Okay lets forget OC, how about quiet?

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

A few things come to mind.

You say you don't need to buy an OS, what are you going to be using?

If you want quiet, you may want to change out some fans and get a larger case to accomodate them.  Larger fans typically move more air at lower RPM.

I strongly suggest getting a different motherboard, preferably an AMD 970 or 990 based board.  Though your current selection will fit the processor, only the AMD 900 series chipsets are designed specifically for the FX CPU's and have access to all of it's power management features.  I would get the MSI 970A-G43 AM3+ AMD 970 motherboard and use it in a standard mid-ATX case.

I would also consider getting a more powerful PSU, a 550W or 600W unit.  By getting one, you open up the possibility of using higher end graphics cards in the future.  Again, you will need a larger mid-ATX case to fit them in.

3939.png

#8 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

I overclock on the 970A chipset for 24/7 use myself. It works well enough. Problem is that AMD draws considerable amounts of power, and you really need the VRM's to at least has basic cooling on there. Otherwise, they WILL overheat.

As for noise, using the stock fan, expect it to be loud. If you want quiet - get the Zalman CNPS 10X flex, and either get a low speed fan, or try to run without a fan. I have run without a fan on several builds using stock clock speeds (though only 45W-65W chips) without a problem. You could also go with the 5x, which is only $20, and have a very quiet system.

That MSI board that DJBPace07 linked to is quite similar to the board I run an OC'd 955 on. Have it running at 4Ghz just fine.

Edited by waldojim42, 25 January 2014 - 03:16 PM.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users