Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iYogi on friends computer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ByondKlewless69

ByondKlewless69

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Hello everyone. my friend had a problem with a Spambot in her yahoo mail account a while back.

She thought she was getting tech help from yahoo and thought it was authorized support from Microsoft.

They talked her into using their service, took remote control of her computer and did God knows what!

Aside from the fact she was over-charged, my main concern for her is the security on her computer.

Has anyone had any dealings with this iYogi.com? From what I've seen doing some research, I am not impressed with

their marketing tactics or their service.

Thank You for any help or info you can provide.  :guitar:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

iYogi is a remote technical support firm based in Gurgaon, India.

iYogi Review & Rating
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ByondKlewless69

ByondKlewless69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Thank You! quietman7 for your response and link to->  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2325453,00.asp#disqus-start
Anyone else going to that link, please scroll down to read comments!

With all these deceptive marketing practices, it's no wonder a lot of people can't tell the good guys from the bad guys.
To top it off, some once respectable companys have actually "Partnered" or done business with these crooks.

Yahoo:  This page showed the Actual "Knowledge Partner" iYogi addy sometime in the past: 
And here:  In part from this page, response Sodbuster answered:      http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110918212125AArSzrW

"Knowledge Partner is a PURCHASED designation and has nothing to do with how helpful, or honest a business is. 
Do not use these sources."

Netgear: I'm not sure if they are still using iYogi support. But I found some reference to it in various places, here's one:

Google:  In the fact about ad positioning that most likely fools the consumer into thinking they are getting the manufacturer's tech support
in part from this page:   http://eagleeye1.com/thread-43220.html

Daniel W  Offline 
Junior Member: "iYogi takes advantage of Google ad positioning to make sure they are the first phone number you see whenever you Google search for a tech support number for any company. Their services are legit BUT their tactics aren't always the most upfront. The negative reviews often come from customers finding out their company offers free tech support but they got tricked into paying iYogi because they thought they were talking to tech support for their manufacturer."

I think these few examples are just the tip of the iceburg. Their incredulous self promotions to sucker people into thinking they are legit tech support, then steal their money AND muck up their computers at the same time is criminal, in my opinion. It is clear that they have really done a huge misleading ad campagne
to sucker as many people in as they can. I have found numerous web domain names linked to iYogi, and I'm sure there are more I didn't come accross:
" Reverse Whois: "iYogi" owns about10 other domains "

Here is one link I came accross and nearly fell out of my chair!:   http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100921191123AAoqzVi
In part from this person's answer (3 years ago):
? answered: "iYogi is a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner, and has over 200,000 subscribers and over half a million resolutions because we take customer feedback as the first source of innovation."
Source:
www.iyogi.net 
www.supportdock.com

I apoligize for the length of this post, however, I hope others reading it will get a heads-up on these scumbags and NOT let these a__holes touch their's or anyone they know computer.
End of rant.
Now, back to my friend's computer. As of my last e-mail with her, she says that her computer is working OK at this time.
However, if she needed help getting rid of it, does anyone have any advice or procedure to safely uninstall it?
Have already advised her to not save any personal identification and/or financial information on her computer and to backup all her documents to other media.
Any response or advice to this post is greatly appreciated. Thank You for your time and support.  :guitar:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

The correct way to remove most programs is to use Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel, so always check there first. Important! Reboot when done and delete the Program folder if it still exists.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, Revo does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

Note: With some programs it's easier to uninstall after booting into safe mode which is designed to start Windows with minimal drivers and running processes to diagnose problems with your computer. In safe mode many programs and their related services that normally start when Windows starts will not run. Since that is the case, it also means there are less processes which can interfere with uninstalling a program.

From what I read, iYogi adds a start-up so removal from safe mode is how I would proceed.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 ByondKlewless69

ByondKlewless69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Thank You quietman7 for you response and advice. Your help is greatly appreciated.

:guitar:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

You're welcome and good luck.