Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video "Stuttering" even when FPS is really high?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 corrado33

corrado33

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Hi all, first time poster. I have a question, not a problem per se, but a question.

I've had a number of computers over the years, from Macbook Pros laptops to PCs I've built myself to brand new iMac computers at work. I've noticed this problem on a few computers, and I've never been able to figure it out.

Sometimes, when I'm watching a video, I'll notice that the entire video seems to be slowing down and speeding up ever so slightly at a frequency of about 2 Hz or so (audio is unaffected).  I've recently been looking into purchasing some video cards for a few older computers I have so I downloaded the "Heaven" benchmarking software. The "problem" is much more obvious when there are large sweeping camera movements, although they don't have to be fast.

If you have the Heaven software, I noticed it very easily on scenes 17 and 18 in the benchmarking part of the app. Now, the weird thing is, during those scenes, the FPS counter was showing 60-70 FPS. Not the average FPS, but the real time FPS. This doesn't make sense to me. Generally higher FPS = smoother video (depending of course on what the video was rendered at.)

This "test" was done on my less than 1 year old iMac at work with very low settings in Heaven and done at 640x400 with AA on and with AA off (two separate tests). (Just doing it for a comparison, I expected the computer to pass with flying colors. But I noticed this a long time ago on my old macbook pros when watching hulu for example (with plenty of bandwidth). Now, maybe those scenes were just rendered that way for some reason, but I have no way to tell. (My old computers are in no way capable of running heaven at 30 FPS let alone 60FPS, hence the need for better video cards.)

Is there any explanation for this? Has anyone else ever noticed the same thing? It drives me nuts!

EDIT: If you want to try to duplicate my results with the (Free) heaven software, the settings on my mac were

API: OpenGL (dunno why it won't let me select DirectX)

Quality: Low

Tessellation: Disabled

3D: Disabled

Multi-Monitor: Disabled

Anti-Aliasing: off (run 1) and x4 (run 2)

Full Screen: unchecked

Resolution: 640x400

Edited by corrado33, 22 January 2014 - 01:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

Need PC specs...kinda hard to diag a hardware problem without them...

You can download and run Speccy, it's available on this site under Downloads.

#3 corrado33

corrado33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

The mac has a 2.7 GHz i5 with 8GB DDR3 mem with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB graphics card.

I don't really think this is a hardware problem per se, as this is a pre-build mac straight from the factory/store/whatever, and I was certainly not taxing the graphics card at that point...

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

It could be a bad 'out of the box' video.

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like your object rendering buffer is too low, or your max object render is too low. Basically, the more objects in the frame the more work the video has to do to keep them rendered separately. Make any sense?

I'm not a Mac person, so take this all at face value...

OpenGL is an outdated format, IME. I think once you get it switched over to DirectX you shouldn't have this issue.

#5 corrado33

corrado33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

It could be a bad 'out of the box' video.

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like your object rendering buffer is too low, or your max object render is too low. Basically, the more objects in the frame the more work the video has to do to keep them rendered separately. Make any sense?

I'm not a Mac person, so take this all at face value...

OpenGL is an outdated format, IME. I think once you get it switched over to DirectX you shouldn't have this issue.

Yeah it makes sense, it's like trying to run a simulation with X number of particles. The more particles, the harder it is for the GPU to keep up. I just don't understand why that that would make the video stutter and not just slow the frame rate down. DirectX doesn't exist for mac (to my new found knowledge) so that's why it's not there. 

Guess it'll remain a mystery!

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Check your video drivers...make sure you have the latest driver for Mac installed. You might consider some of the optional software as well. Nvidia has some diagnostic apps, last I checked.

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

Just tried the Heaven Benchmark in OpenGL and it does the same thing to me...

It's an outdated format. You might try a different benchmark app like 3D Mark. If you're not able to get your video to run off DirectX I'd say that is your culprit.

#8 corrado33

corrado33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

Just tried the Heaven Benchmark in OpenGL and it does the same thing to me...

It's an outdated format. You might try a different benchmark app like 3D Mark. If you're not able to get your video to run off DirectX I'd say that is your culprit.

Thanks for checking that for me, however DirectX doesn't exist for mac, so that's not an option. It's not honestly a problem as I'm usually on a PC. I'll have to check heaven on my linux box when I get home to see if it does the same thing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users