Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 farmerbb

farmerbb

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

I am told that to upgrade from XP Pro to Win 7 64  I need to do a clean install.  Format the C: drive, and then install Win 7 64.  My concern is what happens when I do that.  Will the now BIOS-only machine recognise the DVD, and install Win 7 64 from that ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

There never was an "upgrade" path going from XP to Win 7...even using the upgrade version of Win 7 results in a clean install.

You have to make the optical drive the first boot device in the BIOS...if that's what you want.  It doesn't happen automatically.

If you have a legal Win 7 install CD...the necessary software for deleting existing partition and creating new one...is on that disk, along with Win 7 install files.

Louis

#3 farmerbb

farmerbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Your comment is interesting - the second time someone has told me to update the BIOS.  How do I do that ?  I used SETUP, but I am not sure that changes the BIOS.  EVen if I did that, apparently the 32-bit OS (XP Pro) will not recognise the 64-but SETUP.EXE on the DVD.  I am about ready to format the drive, and pray that the DVD is read & works on a restart.  Good grief this is a painful exercise.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

What I suggested...is NOT "upgrading the BIOS"...it's merely changing one of the changeable options present in the BIOS.

"Setup" and "the BIOS" are used in the same way...whichever term is used, it refers to the system hardware settings which allow the components to work together and be a system.  Boot options are a normal part of every BIOS that I have seen...generally, the hard drive is the first option if the intent is to boot from the hard drive.  If the first option is the hard drive and a user wants to boot from a CD/DVD...the option must be changed so that the optical drive is the first hardware boot source.

Louis

#5 farmerbb

farmerbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

OK, "updating" the BIOS.  I changed the setting in SETUP, so the optical is the first drive to boot.  But XP Pro looks at the drive contents, sees there are no 32-bit applications, and ignores it from then on.  Now I find I have to get rid of the Administrator business, which is preventing me from doing a disk format.,  One thing after another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users