Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant install avast after virus removal

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Carlos28355

Carlos28355

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

I have checked other forums about the problems trying to install avast and the ones ive found aren't working for me...

I am cleaning up a computer it was pretty badly infected...here are the steps I took...

I took out harddrive and ran it as secondary on another computer.. scanned with MBAM Pro, Superantispyware, AVAST, MSE

Put harddrive back in computer started in safemode did a clean up to startup. rebooted. didn't have internet access so fired up D7 and cleaned out all temp files, proxy and system restore, Then did repair to network option. got back on internet. Ran Combofix (which ive done hundreds of times :smash: ) after that was done I installed MBAM, Superantispyware & Hitman and cleaned up more stuff..

after that I ran adwcleaner, fix tdss, tdskiller, JRT, MBAM rootkit, Roguekiller (which detected a cryptolocker) luckily the cryptolocker didn't lock the files down...maybe I over killed on scans I don't know but that's how I rolled this time...dealing with someone else comp not mine...wanted to make sure was clean...

everything appears to be working just fine including windows updates. I just cant install avast. It "the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more details."

Ive also run sfc /scannow 3 times...reboot after each time

and that's where im at now...thanks

Edited by Carlos28355, 22 January 2014 - 01:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

What operating system is on the infected computer?
What anti-virus was originally on the infected computer?

If it was avast, run the Avast Uninstall Utility, reboot and they try your reinstall.

If it was a different anti-virus, then you may need to run the vendor's clean up tool for that program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Carlos28355

Carlos28355
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

sorry i forgot some basic information...its windows 7 home prem x64 i have already used the avast tool cleaner...i trusted d7 to tell me if it detected other virus protection. I just went through the program files and app data folders and saw McAfee (probably update from adobe) and avg2014. ran cleaners for both of those as well as avast again. reinstalled avast same problem. I am waiting to hear back from the owner of the comp about possible virus protections was running...

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

I am waiting to hear back from the owner of the comp about possible virus protections was running...

That would be helpful.

#5 Carlos28355

Carlos28355
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

Owner claims only AVG and MBAM(free) were installed. Im currently trying a norton removal tool incase it came preloaded with norton...maybe ill try trend micro and kaspersky too...but again he said only avg 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

Yes, new computers often come with a preinstalled trail anti-virus usually Norton or Symantec.

There are several topics at the avast forums like this one: I can't install any avast.

#7 Carlos28355

Carlos28355
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

I did search google for the situation i swears to you  :love4u:. I dont know if it was that link they posted to DL Avast from or running it as Admin but i did both together and it worked.so thank you very much  :guitar:

I cant appear to edit the original title. Can you please mark as solved? Thanks

Edited by Carlos28355, 22 January 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

You're welcome.

We do not close topics in this forum unless a member has been asked to post a log in the Malware Removal Logs forum.

#9 Carlos28355

Carlos28355
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

alright sounds good!  :clapping:

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

:thumbup2:

#11 Carlos28355

Carlos28355
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

ok I know this isnt the same problem and maybe a new thread needs to be started but after i got avast installed everything seemed fine i ran a full scan and then shut it down yesterday.this morning turned it on and action center said avast is turned off...d7 also states the same thing...avast thinks everything is all good...any ideas? thanks

*i did the repair security center option in D7 and rebooted...action center message went away...i dont know if that fixed something or if this problem is intermittent. if theres something you thing i should do anyways let me know...thanks again

Edited by Carlos28355, 23 January 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

The Windows Security Center is built upon Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) which is an infrastructure for managing all kinds of data and operations on Windows operating systems...The WMI repository is a centralized storage area for managed objects organized by WMI namespaces. If there was a previous anti-virus installed (as in this case), there may be conflicts when attempting to install a new anti-virus or after installation to include it not being recognized by the Security Center.

Sometimes, the Security Center stops recognizing an antivirus or firewall program and you need to start its service and rebuild the C:\Windows\system32\wbem\repository folder and database...then reboot the computer. Once restarted, Windows Security Center should show the correct information and antivirus/firewall should be recognized.

I believe D7 repairs Windows Security Center by doing the above. It rewrites the appropriate registry values, sets permissions, and ensures the service starts properly. Windows Repair Tool (All In One) does essentially the same.

As a side note, it is not uncommon for a delay in the security software to sync up with the WMI repository, particularly if the computer is taxed by startup programs and services which utilize large amounts of system resources. I occasionally get a warning my system is unprotected on one of my machines with ESET NOD32. However, after a couple minutes (and everything loads), the warning disappears and the Security Center shows it is protected.

I would just monitor things for a couple of days.

#13 Carlos28355

Carlos28355
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Thanks again for the response and information. As of this moment im going to say maybe D7 fixed the issue. I do not believe it to be a delay due to start up because it was well past 10 minutes. I have seen that a lot with MSE where the icon stays red for 30 seconds or so after booting. Anyways ill keep an eye on it and thanks again :love4u:

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Yes the issue is very common with MSE, especially when the icon stays red, causing many folks to panic and post for help at the Microsoft Community forums.

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users