Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchpad Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DariRyu

DariRyu

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

I'm... not really sure how to explain this.  But suddenly my Windows 8 laptop (a Dell Inspirion 15) started doing this very strange thing... suddenly, when trying to use the touchpad, it won't let me 'jump' with the cursor.  Or rather, the cursor jumps when I ask it not to.

You know how when you run your finger all the way across the screen sometimes it comes to the end of the touchpad before it comes to the other side of the screen where you want to be?  You know when you do that, you'll lift your finger, put it back on the other side, and keep swiping to the other side.

Suddenly I can't do that.  Suddenly when I touch the touchpad, the cursor jumps back to the upper right side of the screen.  Whether I'm trying to tap-click or just move the damn cursor-- it seems to do that no matter where I touch it, and it jumps away from the left side of the screen when I touch the touchpad.

I've fiddled with the settings all I know how to do.  Gestures are off, Snap-To is off, and "Enhance Pointer Precision" has been unchecked.  I don't know what happened, becase I was not using it when it started happening.  My partner was, and I have no idea if he accidentally pressed something or not.

Please help.

~*Dari

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Some touchpads just have this kind of behavior, and there is nothing really you can do. I use a Logitech M525 laser mouse, since using the Touchpad really is bad for a person to use all of the time. Especially if you have Arthritis. It can also cause other issues, due to you are holding your hand in a position it is not meant to be, when using the Touchpad.

#3 DariRyu

DariRyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

While that may be true, the issue is that the touchpad has been fine for several months, and suddenly it starts this.  It's not economical for me to use an external mouse, because the one I'm using now I had to take off of my desktop computer.  I'm too poor to afford another mouse.  That's why I come here instead of bringing my laptop to a computer repair store, because I can't afford fixing.

I did get some more information.  My partner said the touchpad just stopped responding for a second while he was using the computer.  He said he gently wiped it off with his towel (which was reasonably dry), since he has had similar issues with touchpads on other laptops and wiping them off like this seemed to solve the problem -- he was sure it was the skin oils from his fingers that had coated the surface.  Soon after this, the cursor started jumping up and to the right whenever the touchpad was touched, no matter where the touchpad is touched, which is the problem I'm having with it now.

~*Dari

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

If your partner is correct about his skin oils, then you could try gently cleaning the trackpad with iso-propyl alchohol. A piece of kitchen paper lightly dampened with the alchohol would do nicely - switch the computer off first.

Other things you could try are to look at the settings in 'Control panel' for you trackpad - 'Start - Control panel - Mouse' - and if all else fails go with Greg's suggestion of a USB mouse. At the bottom end these are very cheap. My local supermarket has them for about £UK 5.00 ($US 7.50 or €6 approx). That's not much more than a small bottle of iso-propyl alchohol will cost you at your local chemist's

Chris Cosgrove

#5 DariRyu

DariRyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:55 AM

I, um.  Actually feel quite ridiculous about this.  But it seems that restarting the computer has cleared up the issue.  Perhaps the touchpad driver errored in some fashion and restarting it fixed it.  Either way it seems that the issue has been cleared up.  Thank you and I apologize for having wasted anyone's time.

~*Dari

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users