Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron Laptop overheating, kinda going slow..

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Superman6661

Superman6661

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

Yeah so my dell laptop is overheating at times and the browsers and the sites i go to are kinda slow. But with Chrome its an exception. I was just wondering if there is any software that can check my laptop up and see what needs to be checked and resolved.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Certain Dell models are notorious for overheating. You can use Core Temp to check the temp of the unit. As for problems, there are a few P.E. environments, that you can run off of a USB stick, to run system tests (CPU, memory,hard drive, GPU).

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Superman6661

Superman6661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

I think i got it.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Td6FQvc0nb7QUokxhkGhWYL

Edited by Superman6661, 23 January 2014 - 01:18 AM.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

Is the fan even running for the CPU?  Have you had it blown out, to clear any pet hair & dust?  How long have you had this unit?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

The CPU is running at 71C, the maximum temperature for this processor is 105C.  I don't believe this is enough to cause problems of the nature you have described.  But you definitely need to purchase some canned air and blow out the computer through the vents.

The hdd report is showing the Uncorrectable sector count and the Current pending sector count of 0000000001.  These are not huge, but warrant running chkdsk C: /r  (C: denotes the hdd or partition which the operating system is on, if yours is not on the C: drive use the appropriate letter for that drive).

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png , type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in chkdsk c:/r then press Enter.  Please notice the space between the chkdsk and the /r.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Superman6661

Superman6661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

Is the fan even running for the CPU?  Have you had it blown out, to clear any pet hair & dust?  How long have you had this unit?

No i havent i should try doing that. How can i blow it out btw? I've had this laptop since March of 2011.

The CPU is running at 71C, the maximum temperature for this processor is 105C.  I don't believe this is enough to cause problems of the nature you have described.  But you definitely need to purchase some canned air and blow out the computer through the vents.

The hdd report is showing the Uncorrectable sector count and the Current pending sector count of 0000000001.  These are not huge, but warrant running chkdsk C: /r  (C: denotes the hdd or partition which the operating system is on, if yours is not on the C: drive use the appropriate letter for that drive).

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png , type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in chkdsk c:/r then press Enter.  Please notice the space between the chkdsk and the /r.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

Ok Once im done with that what's next?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

There usually are vents on the laptop on the side/s and the bottom.  The canned air has a nozzle which you point into the vents and the apply the air to blow out the dust and other material.

Once you have run chkdsk c: /r restart the laptop and see if it runs any better.

#9 Superman6661

Superman6661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

I think it runs a little better but im not sure but the internet goes slow sometimes =/

Edited by Superman6661, 23 January 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#10 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

If Internet is going slow, that can be unrelated.  Check on the Dell forums for that model#, to see if it is one of them that they are still having issues with overheating, due to poor cooling design.

I run Core Temp all of the time on my Toshiba Satellite, so that I can make sure that I am not running in the 130's continuous.  Also one particular process can cause the CPU to run hot, which in turn can be causing this.

As for completely cleaning the fan, you really need to get the back taken off and clean it that way.  The best thing right now, is to get a lapdesk that has a cooling fan that blows up towards the fan, to help push more are into the case, to cool the CPU better.

#11 Superman6661

Superman6661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

If Internet is going slow, that can be unrelated.  Check on the Dell forums for that model#, to see if it is one of them that they are still having issues with overheating, due to poor cooling design.

I run Core Temp all of the time on my Toshiba Satellite, so that I can make sure that I am not running in the 130's continuous.  Also one particular process can cause the CPU to run hot, which in turn can be causing this.

As for completely cleaning the fan, you really need to get the back taken off and clean it that way.  The best thing right now, is to get a lapdesk that has a cooling fan that blows up towards the fan, to help push more are into the case, to cool the CPU better.

What could be the process? I tried download Core temp but Norton says its not safe. How does Core Temp work anyway.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Norton is one of those process that is a resource hog.

Monitor the processes in the Task Manager to see what the CPU, disk, and memory usage is like. 

While off line disable Norton and then monitor the processes again to see the difference.

#13 Superman6661

Superman6661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

Processes : 56

CPU Usage : 0%-3%

Physical Memory : 41%

After disabling Norton,

Processes : 55

CPU Usage : 0%-5%

Physical Memory : 41%

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

Norton being the resource hog that it is I really expected to see a significant difference.

#15 Superman6661

Superman6661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

Could it possibly be something else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users