Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway NV55C seemingly dead

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ben79k

ben79k

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Hey all,
I obtained a Gateway NV55C which had no battery or power adapter from a friend because the power jack had damage to it. I replaced the jack with one from the same machine, purchased on amazon, and am using a universal laptop adapter, although it seems as if no power is getting to the board. I have no way of getting a battery, easily, and was wondering if anyone could give me guidance, as im running low on ideas.

Main Rig: FX4100@4.2Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1866, ASUS M5A99X EVO, 2x Radeon 6870, 128GB Vertex4 SSD, 1TB HDD, Thermaltake Chaser MK-2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

What do you mean by it seems as if no power is getting to the board?

--- No lights, now fans, no beep when you try to power up, etc?

Since you want to get the correct battery for the laptop go to

http://support.gateway.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3265

--- Click on the link and open the BTxxx PDF document

---Your battery specs are Lithium Ion battery AS10D51 10.8V 4400mAh 48Wh

Amazon has one

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Laptop-Battery-4400mAh-Replacement/dp/B004Z69EMU/ref=sr_1_1/190-8715330-8877410?ie=UTF8&qid=1390365955&sr=8-1&keywords=gateway+nv55c+battery

You can do a web search for laptop battery comapanies

#3 ben79k

ben79k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:18 AM

Most laptops can boot without a battery, if they are plugged in, yes? I was hoping to test it before i spent more money. and correct. no lights, no fan.

Main Rig: FX4100@4.2Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1866, ASUS M5A99X EVO, 2x Radeon 6870, 128GB Vertex4 SSD, 1TB HDD, Thermaltake Chaser MK-2

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,615 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

No power at all; you are right, test the laptop

--- I've never worked on a laptop other than replacing a hard drive, memory or checking out a backlight inverter

You will need to electrically check both sides of the power jack if you have the right tools

--- Do you have a maintenance manual to help you figure that out

On the above links, the first includes a link to manuals; maybe it's in there.

--- I don't have time to look it up right now, but see what you can find

Is there an outside chance someone has a laptop you could test the universal adapter?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

You don't need another laptop to test the universal power supply - just a multi-meter. Unplug it from the laptop, one probe inside the jack that goes into the laptop, one probe on the outside and you have the output voltage. Note that you are measuring this voltage off-load, so it should be somewhat higher than the voltage needed by the laptop.

If, for example, the laptop requires a DC input of 18 V, and the charger is set to 18 V, off-load I would expect to find a reading of about 19 or 19.5 V. If it is less than this, check the voltage setting on the charger. I have known laptops not to work because the a too low output voltage was set on a universal charger !  I would expect to find the input voltage required either on the bottom of the laptop case or on the battery casing.

The DC inputs on laptops are very prone to getting damaged, and to find out if there is damage you are going to have to dismantle the laptop at least to the extent of seeing the mobo. Look for broken or faulty solder joints, and worst case, a cracked mobo. If you do find faulty solder joints a fine tipped soldering iron and a steady hand may enable you to repair them. If you want advice on teardown procedures have a look on YouTube for 'Gateway NV55C teardown'. There are some very good instructional videos there. There are, of course, also some awful ones !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,615 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Chris, very good description of checking the universal power adapter and followup descriptions about everything else and I certainly appreciate your expertise

But please, can't asking "Is there an outside chance someone has a laptop you could test the universal adapter?" be a consideration?

--- I didn't think it would be necessary to explain why I added that option in there but I guess I'll try

--- I don't know whether or not the OP has the capability to use use a multimeter and that's why I mentioned "if you have the right tools"

--- I more than respect your expertise but I normally look for respectability on everyone's opinions not just mine

ben79k if you know how to conduct Chris' recommendations that's great

--- If not, take the universal power adapter to someone you know who might know how to check the unit with a multimeter

--- So if the unit passes the readings you'll know then it's time to get into the laptop starting with the power jack and into the laptop itself so well described by Chris

#7 ben79k

ben79k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

I should clarify a few things first. Im comfortable with electronics, and im working at a grounded station with the bare board. Voltage out of my charger is 19V 4.2A, and apparently the laptop requires 19V 3.8A, i found this figure from an amazon search for "Gateway NV55C Power Adapter" but I should probably look in to a more official manual. it could be the DC power jack I bought, not sure. thats why im asking you all what you think :)

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,615 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

That's great how you can do that. What an excellent recommendation from Chris. Thanks Chris.

--- It sounds like the adapter is fine

Since you are at the bare board level, it should be worth trying to find the schematic of the board.

What do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users