Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Touchpad not Working.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite A60 running Lubuntu 13.10. 1 GB of ram, an Intel Celeron Single Core 2.8 GHz, Platform: i686. The touchpad never worked when I had Windows XP or Lubuntu. So i'm sure it's a hardware problem. But I just want to check and make sure, but i'm not sure how to go about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :scratchhead:   

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

I don't know a great deal about Linux in any of its flavours, but are you sure you have drivers for the trackpad ?  Do you have a Lubuntu equivalent of Window's Device Manager and, if you do, does it show any problems ?

Love the computer chucking emoticon !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

If it didn't work under windows xp (should have auto installed a generic driver), it could simply be disconnected from the motherboard.

Could also be defective.  Did you buy it new or used?

#4 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

It's not disconnected because I opened up the computer (finally got the last screw out  :smash: ) and everything is connected (although I did find out why the light to the power button never came on) so it has to be a hardware issue? ( Arrr, Crappy A60's )

And yes, I love the computer chucking-anything-that-has-to-do-with-anger-at-a-computer emoticons.

Unfortunately i'm new to Linux as well, therefore I wouldn't know if it had a device manager. (XP broke on me for an unknown reason, had to wipe the drive for it to show up in the BIOS)  

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#5 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

Unfortunately I don't know much about Linux myself, but could be driver related.  I'd check toshiba's website to see if there is a specific manufacturer for your touchpad and possibly a model number, and then research them for linux drivers (most likely Alps / Synaptics).

Best I can do for ya.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

I have yet to see a touchpad that did not work in linux right from the start. I have never had to install a driver unless I wanted to use some of the multi gesture scroll features of very new hardware. I suspect the touchpad itself to be the problem. Is there any keys on the keyboard to disable the mouse? Something like a Function key + a F1-F12 key? It may be a hardware button near the touchpad as well. I tried to find some pictures of the computer online but saw nothing high enough resolution to see what the decals were on the function keys...

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

Check this link out... http://www.manualslib.com/manual/203274/Toshiba-A60-S156.html?page=203

looks like F9 will disable the touchpad (I'm not sure that the disable feature works without a driver).

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

Some laptops have an enable/disable Internal pointing device in the BIOS settings. 

#9 rickrockport

rickrockport

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

Short answer: Close lid(screen), remove battery, open lid(screen) and it should work now. Close lid partially to replace battery. If it doesn't work the first time, leave the battery out for 3 minutes, replace and then open lid.

Long answer: I was having trouble with my 2001 Mercury Sable air conditioner blend door (stuck on hot air). I had it replaced several times and a dealer even sold me on replacing the computer unit. So several thousand dollars later I decided to replace the blend door myself when it went out again. I bought the door actuator for about $35 and went to the net to find out where to put it and how to do it and I found a tip from someone else with the same problem. He said to remove the negative battery cable for 3 minutes and replace it. Well it worked and I have done it several times since and it keeps fixing the problem.

I had been having the touchpad quit on my Toshiba laptop since it was new. I carried a USB mouse with me everywhere just in case. So the next time I lost the touchpad I tried the battery solution and wow! After years of trying every software solution I could find, here was a simple solution. I hope it will work for you too. It sure doesn't cost much and doesn't take much time to try it either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users