Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Startup Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TwistedKitty

TwistedKitty

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

I keep getting this message when I start my computer:

C:/Users/Jazz/App Data/Local/Temp/Ct3279412/plugins/TB Verifer.dll

This specified module could not be found. This happened right after I installed a new antivirus program

(Nortons). Windows has also been crashing and says this missing file is responsible. How do I fix this?

It's driving me nuts :ranting:

Edited by hamluis, 27 January 2014 - 01:08 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Please download AdwCleaner and run it.

An image like the one below will open, click on Scan.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be close so that the infections can be removed.  Click on Ok.

When cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your next post.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool.

Open your browser and go to Downloads, then click on the Junkware Removal Tool to install it.  

Click on Run to initiate the installation.

To avoid potential conflicts, temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall.  You will want to be offline when you do this.

Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as Administrator.

The tool will open and start scanning your system.

Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.  Copy and this and then post this in your topic.

Edit:  There are those that believe that Norton is more trouble than it's worth, I am one of these.  There are free antivirus programs like AVAST which use a great deal less resources and are user friendly.

Edited by dc3, 22 January 2014 - 01:25 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Yes, and you can get the Norton Removal Tool on this site if you choose to go that route.

AVAST, AVG, and Microsoft Security Essentials are all free and better than Norton, IMO.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

TBVerifier.dll is related to Conduit, a toolbar engine installed (bundled) alongside many free applications which allows users to add applications directly to their browser without a community toolbar. Conduit offers a distribution option for Conduit-powered offerings and is used in order to generate ad revenue for the company. While not explicitly malware, it is often installed stealthily without knowledge or consent from the end user and is considered a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP).

After using anti-virus and other security scanning tools to remove adware, PUPs and malware it is not uncommon to find remnants of startup and scheduled task registry keys when booting up your computer.

Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file may have been removed inadvertently, during the uninstallation of a program or after performing a scan with security tools. However, an associated orphaned registry entry (value) still exists and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, you need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

Follow dc3's instructions and he will help you remove this garbage.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users