Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interpret Hitachi DFT test result - ReadErrStat = ComErr

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cally1200

cally1200

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

Hi

I m having problem with my hdd, it is always busy. I have posted to numerous forums, tried alternatives way to solve this, reimaged it multiple times and the problem is always back.

I ran dell diagnostic test and no error is found. So I removed the hdd and fixed it to a usb and connected it to my PC and ran the Hitachi DFT test, the SMART Test passed, but I got the Read Err Stat = ComErr.

What does this mean, I cant find out from the net or from the help

Also, how do I know whether is my hdd is causing the issue, memory is faulty or some usb port is causing the hdd busy thingy. Could it be a motherboard issue that keeps making my hdd busy. 

I can't reformat the hdd, it belongs to my company and..it is encrypted. Even when I plugged it into the usb cable, the file system is raw and you cant see the files inside at all. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

Hi

What kind of encryption is it?

Also, what model is it (I assume the manufacturer is Hitachi)?

-=[ James ]=-

#3 cally1200

cally1200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

Hi James

Mcafee encyrption. No, its a Toshiba hdd. I googled and some sites mentioned that Hitachi Test and Seagate Test can be used to detect any error with the hdd. I did use seagate long back and the smart test passed.

But something is seriously wrong with the notebook hdd

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

Hi

• Can you tell me more about the problem?
  • Are you able to access the drive and view it unencrypted when it is in the laptop?
  • What does it do that makes it seem busy?

Thanks

-=[ James ]=-

#5 cally1200

cally1200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:15 AM

Sure James,

- The hdd light on the notebook is constantly on, very so often when I am typing something long, the machine kind of freezes, and it takes 2 to 3 seconds for the characters typed to appear on the screen.

- Same goes when I use an application, say I have a Microsoft Word open, and I navigate through the menu bar - ribbon. It will work fine, then suddenly the machine would pause

- The mouse will be working throughout the issue though,

Its like..the hdd is checking with something..

Yes, I am able to access the drive, no blue screen as well. 

- I dunno what it does, I thought it was the Mcafee, but I disabled all the service and still I get this.

- I entered into safe mode, and the same thing happens. 

- The machine is bundled with Nvidia card as well. But I disabled it in Device Manager and the problem remains.

Dell Diagnostic test passed without any errors. 

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Hi

Mcafee EndPoint encryption is notorious for slowing down systems. Specifically, file transfers but I could also see it happening while drafts are being automatically saved in the background which sounds like the problem you described with Word. The symptoms of the problem being related to the full disk encryption would be...

• Freezing momentarily when reading or writing to disk
  • The hard drive light would be lit a lot more than on an unencrypted computer (due to constant encryption/decryption of background processes that make use of virtual memory and other housekeeping)

The Read Err Stat = ComErr message that you saw in the diagnostic log is likely due to the fact that the encryption you are using is 'full disk encryption'. There are better encryption packages and some are even free open source products but the one you are using is popular because it is easy to deploy in a business environment and it is made by a company that has partnered with many computer sellers so as to make it very easy to choose it as a solution.

It sounds like the hard drive is fine.

-=[ James ]=-

#7 cally1200

cally1200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Hi James

Could that be the reason ? My colleagues are using the same machine with the Mcafee encryption thingy. Theirs has no problem.

Any idea how I can further test, I can't uninstall the encryption thingy, though.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

If the computers are identical in all ways and one does not have this issue then I can't help you without doing things that should only be done by your company's IT staff (and I won't do that), I do feel very confident that your disk is healthy and that the encryption is the root of your issue.

I could be wrong, would not be the first time :)

-=[ James ]=-

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Oh, one last thing to check that could do this.

Is the disk nearly full? If it is more than 85% full, it can behave as you describe.

-=[ James ]=-

#10 cally1200

cally1200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

No, it isn't, 214GB free of 298GB

I will get the techsupport to check the mcafee installation. I was hoping that I could get some error out the hardware so that I can get them to replace the hdd..but looks like i can't do that now.

Anyway, thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users