Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs won't open and computer won't shutdown, etc.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aWittyUsername

aWittyUsername

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hi all, first off I am new to this forum and decided to register and post since I have not been able to find the answer to my issue for several months of searching the internet. I hope that someone here can help me, whether by actually fixing the problem or pointing me in the right direction.

My computer (Dell Studio 1558, Windows 7) started acting up a few months ago and I've been having to use an old back-up until I could figure out what is wrong with it.

I believe it started after it locked up and I had to hold the power button in to force a shutdown. After I restarted normally, it would not run any programs or open any folders so I tried to shut it down and it won't shut down on it's own. It just sits on the "shutting down" page for hours until I hold the power button in (or unplug it and remove the battery) to shut it down.

At first I thought it might be a virus so I tried to run McAfee and it just sits at 0% and never actually starts the scan (all other programs do this as well).

It will open a pdf or notepad file but it won't open any folders or programs on my desktop. For folders and programs, you can click on them and they just never open. You can select them and hit enter as well and they still never open.

I've tried to run sfc /scannow this morning from cmd as an administrator and it does nothing. The cursor just sits there and blinks.

I ran sfc /scannow in safe mode with networking and the result was:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Also, my folders open in safe mode but won't open in normal mode.

I also tried a couple of months ago to restore to an earlier point and when it went to restart it never could because it was stuck on the "shutting down" screen over night.

I tried to use my clickfree to do a backup and it won't run that either.

The only other item to note is that in January 2012, which is 2 years ago, I upgraded the standard 4 GB of RAM to this:
G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBSQ

I had no problems out of the new memory for over 1-1/2 years, but I thought that I would add that here just in case it might help identify the issue.

I appreciate any help or direction that someone could point me in.

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2014 - 10:27 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 aWittyUsername

aWittyUsername
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

This is not an infection, Malware, spyware, adware, virus or otherwise. Please move this thread back to the appropriate section. Thank you.

After finally getting into diagnostics, this is what I've gotten so far:

This happened twice (I clicked on retry the test):
Memory -  WCMATS Test
Error code 0123.
Msg. Error code 2000-0123
Msg: Memory - integrity test failed

Then I got this:
Memory - Mats Test
Error code 2000-0123

Then:
Memory - March A Test
Error code 2000-0123

Memory - March B Test
Error code 2000-0123

Memory - March C Test
Error code 2000-0123

Memory - March LA Test
Error code 2000-0123

Memory - March LR Test
Error code 2000-0123

Memory - March SR Test
Error code 2000-0123

This test is still ongoing as it's been running the Memory - March S Test for over 30 minutes now and it seems to barely be doing anything.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

Moved to WIN7
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

If you ran the Dell Diagnostics and the results indicate that you have a RAM problem....not sure what you looking for by posting.

"The issue" lies with your RAM, based on data reflected.

Louis

#5 aWittyUsername

aWittyUsername
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

If you ran the Dell Diagnostics and the results indicate that you have a RAM problem....not sure what you looking for by posting.

"The issue" lies with your RAM, based on data reflected.

Louis

Thank you for your reply.

I just finally got the computer to run the diagnostics about 2 hours ago which was 2 days after the original post.

I realize now that the issue lies with the RAM. But based on what I've read online, the RAM slots on the motherboard could be bad and the sticks themselves could be good.

Can taking out the sticks and running the test again on one RAM module at a time determine if it's the sticks or the motherboard or would swapping the 2 sticks out for 2 other sticks and starting the test again be the best way to go?

The RAM that is in the computer is G.Skill and only about 2 years old. If I'm not mistaken it came with a lifetime warranty.

So should I find my old RAM which I should still have somewhere and swap it out and try the test again and if it passes, make G.Skill swap out the bad RAM? Or should I call up G.Skill first, now that I know what the problem is and tell them what I've found?

What I was looking for by posting was for someone to point me in the right direction since I am not an expert and I could not get the computer to do anything at all, as referenced in the original post.

Thanks for your help, any guidance on the issue at all is truly appreciated.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

The way that I test RAM...is very slow but yields results that eliminate confusion.

If you follow the guidance below, you will nail it down.

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Note that the above calls for testing each module individually  in each slot...and then pairing appropriately if you have more than one RAM module.

Louis

#7 aWittyUsername

aWittyUsername
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

The way that I test RAM...is very slow but yields results that eliminate confusion.

If you follow the guidance below, you will nail it down.

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Note that the above calls for testing each module individually  in each slot...and then pairing appropriately if you have more than one RAM module.

Louis

Hello, I appreciate your reply Louis. I had already swapped out the new RAM with the old RAM and started the F12 diagnostics before you posted this advice. Please take a look at the results below and if you think I should go back and put the other RAM in and follow these steps, I will.

I swapped out the upgraded G.Skill RAM modules for the original ones that came with the computer. I started it up and hit F12 and ran diagnostics. It passed every test. After the test was over it came to another screen giving me the option of running additional tests. One was a memory test, the other a systems test.

I started with the memory test and it passed every module. Then I clicked on the systems test and it gave me four options: Express test, extended test, custom test and symptom tree. I chose the express test and this is the only issue that it reported:

Error
Error Code: 0F00:133C
Msg: DISK - No suitable disk media is present
The given error code and message can be used by Technical Support to help diagnose the problem.Do you want to continue testing?

Yes or No or Retry

After looking online, in the Microsoft and Dell forums, some said this was indicative of faulty RAM or video card, others said that it meant there was no disc in the CD/DVD drive when it tested the drive. Basically there was nothing for it to read.

After this test was over, I chose the extended test, it passed everything up until it got to the part where it tests the sound. It kept asking me if I heard the sounds, and I had to click yes, no or retry. After one of tests, I accidentally clicked no when it asked me if I wanted to continue the test so it aborted the test at 86% complete. So I restarted the test and let it run again and it went all the way through with no issues at all being reported. (This took about 24 hours for the 2 tests.)

So at this point, after no issues being reported on the tests I expected to be able to start the computer up in normal mode and just go back to using it as normal. Well, it's still doing the same thing as before. It won't run anything. It prompted me to download updates to Java and Flash Player. I clicked on download for flash player and it opened up chrome and downloaded and installed it fine. But as for Java, it downloaded and when it went to install, it froze and never did anything, (same as before).

So I opened up the "who crashed" program and it did the same thing as when I tried to run it before I swapped the RAM. It opened and the screen was blank. When I click on the screen it shows "not responding". It won't close, so I try to use task manager to end task and it can't shut it down. I tried to restart the computer, it wouldn't restart, I tried to do a normal shutdown, it wouldn't do that, so I had to hold in the power button to force a shutdown.

Then I started back up in normal mode and it came to the login screen where I enter my password, I did and then it showed my desktop which was blank except for the "wallpaper" and the blue circle just sat there spinning and nothing ever showed up on the screen. In the bottom left hand corner the start menu icon, the internet explorer icon and I believe it's the media player icon were present and in the right hand corner the time/date, network icon, and the battery icon were present, but that was it. The only thing that ever showed up on the desktop was the "wallpaper" and the blue spinning circle.

This just doesn't make sense to me, it failed the tests with the other RAM, I change it out and it passed all the tests but it still freezes up and acts the same when I try to run anything. In safe mode, before I swapped the RAM, I ran malwarebytes, superantispyware and ccleaner, and they all showed clean, no issues so I don't know what to do now.

Any ideas for next steps? I'm at a loss, please advise.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

I've previously suggested how I would test...one module at a time, in each slot...then specific combinations at a time, in specific modules.  Eventually...all modules at same time, if individual modules yield no conclusive results.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users