Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Apple Software Updater and BSOD's

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chrissybabe

chrissybabe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hi all, my first post here.

I have surfed google in the past looking for solutions to problems (and answering others problems at times) but have finally decided to actually join a forum rather than continue with random surfing. And BleepingComputer is where I have landed.

I have a friends computer that has recently started to BSOD whenever he tries to update iTunes and iCloud via the Apple Software Updater. The stop code is D1. Many causes have been suggested as to the cause of D1 stop codes but they have almost all been eliminated.

His entire system has been replaced except for the PS, system boot drive and video card. The OS (Windows 7 Pro 64 bit) was cloned over to the new motherboard. Everything else appears to work fine but he needs the Apple stuff to sync with his iPhone and iPad.

So these things are completely new -

different motherboard and chipset

latest new BIOS

all new drivers including chipset and video etc

new memory

different CPU

I haven't listed actual hardware yet because it seems to me that the error would now have to be in software. It is impossible to try updating the Apple software because that would immediately cause the BSOD.

Not done yet is a complete reload of the OS and reinstallation of programs. This is being held as a last resort.

Nor has an exhaustive search been done in the event viewer but I vaguely remember checking this earlier and could find nothing there timed the same.

I am considering some of these items as possible causes -

bad Apple software or version

possible Windows corruption

perhaps a recent Windows update has changed something

Does anybody know anything that might cause this or know of any solutions or have a suggestion as to where I might start ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

If your friend has iOS on his phone & iPad, they do not need iTunes to sync music, etc. on the computer.  Only if they are are using iTunes, to load music from CD's that they have burnt to the hard drive, then yes, they would need iTunes.

Most likely the fault lies in that you installed a Cloned image of the original install of Windows, on the new Hard Drive.

Have they tried uninstalling everything Apple, then reinstalling iTunes, Quicktime, iCloud back on the computer?  They are only going to be able to load the 32-bit of the software on the system, since there is no real 64-bit version of the software from Apple.

Try a sfc /scannow and a chkdsk /F to see if it repairs anything.  You can also run Farbar Service Scanner, MiniToolbox, to see if either finds any problems after you do the first two suggestions.

The only Cloning software that I trust, is Clonezilla, when installing an image that was on one drive, to a different one on a machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users