Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CanoScan Lide50 and Windows 8 (64 bit) - need driver or workaround

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 sandy.b

sandy.b

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

I purchased a new PC with the Windows 8 (64 bit) OS. Previously I had a Win XP PC and I used this Canon scanner. The Canon Support site does not list any Windows 8 (64 bit) drivers for this scanner (CanoScan Lide50).  Can anyone provide a workaround so that I can use this scanner with the new PC?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

This is a driver that was modified for Windows 7 64bit but for Windows 8 it may not work. I would run a viruscan of it at Virustotal.com just to make sure it is free of malware.

http://www.webwhitenoise.com/item/2009/05/canon-canoscan-lide-50-x64-drivers/

#3 sandy.b

sandy.b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

Thank you.  The driver does work for Windows 8.  I now have a working scanner again!   :thumbup2:

#4 Jujue88

Jujue88

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

Hello, 

I have Windows 8.1 and I opened the link you sent, I downloaded and unzipped it... Then I clicked on launch and on setup and nothing happened  :( , I really need to find back my scanner so if u can help me. Thank you :)

Justine

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

I don't believe you double click any setup file in the unzipped folder. According to the blog post you need to install the drive using Device Manager. Unzip the file to your desktop. Go to Device Manager. You should see a yellow exclamation mark in other devices. 

1. Open Device Manager.
  2. Scroll through the list and look for other devices
  3. Expand the other devices group, you will find a device with a yellow exclamation mark on it
  4. Right click on the device
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software
  6. Click on browse and then navigate to the folder you extract the files to on your Desktop (I.e. the extracted ZIP file) then click next (check Include subfolders if it is not selected)
  7. If Windows thinks the driver in the folder is a match for the device you selected, it will install it.
  8. Once the Wizard finishes successfully, Reboot to allow driver installation to complete

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 September 2015 - 05:56 PM.

#6 Csaba75

Csaba75

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:42 AM

I also have problem during the install of this driver. Device manager says: the hash for the file is not present i the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering. 

Should I try to download it several times or is there another source to download a working version?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:14 PM

I am not sure why that is but see this page. Supposedly the lide 60 drivers will work. You need to extract the files from the exe file downloaded. Then use Device Manager to update the driver.

https://systembash.com/canon-canoscan-lide-50-scanner-and-windows-7-32-or-64-bit-driver-fix/

You can download the Windows 7 driver here.

http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/scanners/lide_series/canoscan_lide_60.aspx?type=drivers&language=EN&os=Windows%207%20(64-bit)

Try Windows 8 compatibility mode. to install the driver if using Device Manager does not work.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 November 2015 - 06:14 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:38 PM

If anyone else has issues with the subject of this topic...please open your own individual topic regarding such.

This topic is closed to prevent further posts by other than the OP and those attempting to assist on a resolved situation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users