Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RDP Session Win2008R2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

Gday peoples, i have a really weird issue which i have tried to resolve my self a few times but to no avail.

I have a Win2008R2 server sitting on a ESXi 4.1, now the issue is when i reboot the server i have to perform a local login through ESXi colsole before anyone can RDP into the server. As soon as you press Login, the RDP allows conenctions.

I have tried changing GPO RDP Session/security, i have also reset the computer account on the domain.

Im starting to run out of ideas as to why this is starting all of a sudden, i also tried removing/re-installing vmtools thinking it might be causing an issue but nothing has worked yet. Its a production server used for remote apps so it cant be tinkered with during the day unless someone has a simple solution.

All serverices are running properly before the login is performed (Using services.msc/Connect to Server option) to check and make sure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Off the top of my Head I have no Clue, I am very new to virtualization and vmware. I can point you to a few people who might be able to help. Spiceworks.com. I have an account there and I am sure someone from Vmware can help you out. Click on Join Free Community and after regisitering browse over to Virualization and post your question.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 January 2014 - 08:01 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

yeh i am sure it isnt related to VMWare, it has been workign fine for years mate but this oen has me stumped and normally i can fix most issues lol. The only thing i can think os is it is session related, or authentication related so whena  user actually logs on locally, it is triggering something for the RDP sessions to start working.

Anyway, ill try a few other things through GPO to see if i can set somethign manually (I have already added the RDP group members to the machine/server).

Cheers

#4 D-Tools

D-Tools

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Hi,

A workarround that worked for me with a similar issue i had..

Try to install the terminal services role, see if it's solving the issue and then remove the role.

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hi,

A workarround that worked for me with a similar issue i had..

Try to install the terminal services role, see if it's solving the issue and then remove the role.

Yeh well it actually has that role and is our main terminal server hosting all our remote apps, so that wont be the fix.

Anyway, it is not a big issue just an annoyance.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

Not sure it could be role specific bug. However, it also sounds like a service or service dependency is kicking on when you logon as administrator. Maybe you can change the service to automatic and system/logon? Just a thought.

Edited by technonymous, 16 April 2014 - 07:05 AM.

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

I forgot about this thread, what i did in the end was re-install vmware tools and that corrected the issue.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the fix!

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +