Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rob B

Rob B

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:45 PM

Hi all, i have a bit of a problem i've been working on for a while but i havent gotten anywhere. I'm open
to any and all suggestions you might have.

I have a Hewlett Packard N3410 notebook. It has an AMD K6-2 550mhz cpu and 192mb Ram and
a 4.7gb HDD.I had Windows98 installed from the factory but i installed WinXP,thinking it would be much better...I ran WinXP for six months but was having a problem with HDD space so i decided to reinstall
Win98 but didnt have the system recovery disk so i used DOS to format the HDD. A few days after
formatting the HDD i used the HP recovery cd to reinstall Win98. Here is where the problem comes
in...Now that i have reinstalled Win98, when i boot the computer i get an "Invalid or damaged Bootable
partition" message. Does anyone have any idea what exactly is wrong or at least how to fix it? Any
help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Cheers!

Rob.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kenith

kenith

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:05 AM

Hey Rob,

you also have to repartition before formatting your hard drive as winxp uses a different filing system than win 98...here is a link that will help you to repartition the hd and also reformat...I hope this helps

fdisk and formatting

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:51 AM

You may have a NTFS partition, since you had Windows Xp installed prior. Delete the partition with fdisk, restart the computer and create a FAT32 partition.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users