Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropbox Security Concern

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cheysuli

Cheysuli

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

I have been asked to install Dropbox in order to collaborate with a 3rd party vendor on some projects.  This vendor already has a network of of others as part of his dropbox share.  My concern is the potential of malware/viruses reaching me through this Dropbox share.  It isn't scanned like our email.  Should I be worried about this?  I don't even know who the other parties connected to his dropbox are.  Is Skydrive a  better option?  I really need some help here.

Thanks,

Chey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

Do you trust the 3rd party vendor?

This shouldn't be an issue, in general.  Anything you download from Dropbox is probably scanned by your machine as part of the download process.  I don't know if any of the cloud storage companies scan what you store.

You're going to have the possibility no matter what.  One needs to assume that you trust the people that you are working with.  As long as you're not passing EXE and script files around you should be fine.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

One additional consideration. What is your corporate IT policy for using cloud services? If there isn't a firm policy, you might ask for a written response either saying yes or no to protect yourself in the future.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

I have been asked to install Dropbox in order to collaborate with a 3rd party vendor on some projects.  This vendor already has a network of of others as part of his dropbox share.  My concern is the potential of malware/viruses reaching me through this Dropbox share.  It isn't scanned like our email.  Should I be worried about this?  I don't even know who the other parties connected to his dropbox are.  Is Skydrive a  better option?  I really need some help here.

You and your 3rd party vendors should read this: Hey, You, Get Off of My Cloud: Exploring Information Leakage in Third-Party Compute Clouds. http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~tromer/papers/cloudsec.pdf

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users