Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 setup help needed for a real novice please!!!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DogPal

DogPal

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hi All

I lost all my data when the HD died so I'm getting the opportunity to start over & I want to do everything right this time.  I don't understand technical stuff, so may I ask that you use lots of details...I'm not stupid...I just don't know a lot about computer stuff.  Thanks!

1. Since there's no recovery disk like in the older versions should I make one?  I ask this because, before the defective HD finally died, there were several times I'd get a screen asking for "recovery media". I've never made such a thing even though I've been a PC user since the good old days of Windows XP, (when recovery disks came WITH the computer)...what's the right disk to use to save the OS?

2. I'm the only user of my laptop & I want to make sure I can access everything.  I don't know what I did wrong  when I installed all my Programs, Games, Music, Photos, etc., before the HD died;  but I was actually "denied access" to my own stuff!!! What's the correct way to use my laptop AND be able to open everything without getting that frustrating, "access denied" message box?  I tried to follow the instructions from MS about "sharing options" but they were WAY too technical for me...I only use my laptop for playing games, email, watching & listening to streaming media & researching topics that interest me.  I don't need the ultra-paranoid security settings that Windows thinks is necessary.  Please tell me the simple way to be able to "share" my stuff with ME!

I can't wait to start using my new laptop again, as I had to go back to using my old laptop that runs Vista Home Premium.  It's slower than molasses...so much so that I haven't been able to watch any online stuff or play games because the audio & video are ridiculously out of sync, plus it's past the 60%-full point, & even an older user like me knows that makes for sluggishness.  Anyway, thank you in advance for your help. I really appreciate it.

Best Regards,

DogPal :scratchhead:

"Dogs may not be our whole life but they make our lives whole"

by Roger Caras

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

1.  You can download a copy (a ISO image) of Windows 8 at Windows Eight Forums.  You will need to burn this to a DVD, I've included instructions for doing this with a program called ImgBurn.

Burning a ISO file to a CD or DVD with ImgBurn

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Something that needs to be emphasized is the need to backup your important data to removable media, like CDs, DVDs, flash drives, an additional external or extra internal hard drive (hdd).  This should be done anytime you add important data to your computer.  There is software out there to create an image of the contents of your hdd which is free, like Macrium.

2.  You need to make an administrator user account, this will take care of most of your permission issues.  This is done in the Control Panel.  Open Search and type Control Panel in the search box, Control Panel will open in the column on the far left portion of this window, click on it to open the Control Panel.

In the Control Panel you will see User Accounts, click on this.  This is where you create the Administrator User Account.

When you open the User Accounts you will see Change User Account Control settings, click on this.  The window which opens will have a slide bar, place your pointer on this and drag the bar down to the bottom, then click on OK.  This will stop the computer from asking you if you are sure you want to install..., it will also help with the permissions.  The only reason I would make this suggestion is because you are the only user of this computer.  Otherwise this could be a security issue.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DogPal

DogPal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hi!

WOW!!!  What an absolutely awesome post, dc3!!! :bowdown:   I'm so very grateful for the much-needed info...especially all the images & links.   I hope you'll be around if I have any questions about this daunting undertaking.  I want to re-read everything you've posted a few times to make sure I really understand it.  I'm in the middle of a bout with an alien virus that's had a hold of me since this past Thursday & the only thing my 102.3F temperature hasn't wiped out of my brain is the desire to get my laptop up and running again.  I guess that's a good sign that I'm not on my way out!!!  (BTW...I hope you don't really have a fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth... :wink:...thanks a bunch for making me laugh, I needed it!!!)

Before I gather my energy together for this will you please tell me what  "ISO" means?  Do I use a CD that would be used if I burned some music on it  or would it be considered data?  I guess you can tell that I haven't done stuff as important as this before...I think I only burned one CD in my entire computer history since 1999 & all I remember was the prompt on the screen asking if I wanted to burn "data" or whatever the other option was.  All I DO know is that I want to do everything right this time. I thought that I'd go nuts when the clock-like ticking noise that was audible from the first time I opened the lid of my new laptop persisted for months; then I kept getting those "insert removable media" messages; then tapping on F8 finally ceased to remind my laptop how to boot.  Now, I look at this total data loss incident as a rebirth...a second chance for me to get it right for a change!!  Through my feverish confusion I keep going over all the things I did wrong or quirks of Windows 8 that I don't like, and I know that I really had to ask knowledgeable friends how to avoid the same pitfalls.

I know that the first & probably the most important thing I must do, is to find out what the best, (and most economical) and reliable way to backup my laptop.  The closest I ever came to backing something up was making 'restore points' before I'd add a new program or update a driver.  I know...I should be ashamed of myself, but as I said, I don't do anything that's considered vital on my PC.  That being said, it was a giant pain to ask everyone for their email addresses & download & reinstall my Anti-Virus Program, all my games etc.  In your opinion, what do you recommend for making backups? External drives are pricey for me, but how do they compare to flash drives and CDs?  I'm quite confused by this whole concept...I'm embarrassed to say this, but I thought it was possible to just transfer what I wanted from my old Vista to the new 8. The tech told me it would cost $100-$200 & that they "only transfer files & folders but not programs".  Well, being too embarrassed to admit I didn't understand, I just nodded & left.  What's so different between Programs and files & folders?  Don't folders contain the info about the Programs...including the .exe files necessary to reinstall the programs?  (See..I told you I was a novice!!!)  In one of my searches I read about  Microsoft's  "Easy Transfer" & I just thought I could pick & choose what I wanted and be done with it.  Apparrently it's not that easy, so that's why I posted here.

Thanks to your tremendously helpful post I have great hope that I can get it right this time!!!

Just knowing there are kind people like you who are willing to share their knowledge is a great comfort to me.  I'm starting to think that this is something I can do...with LOTS of help.

Anyway, I apologize for the lengthy response, but I am new at this technical stuff...and I DO have a fever...however; when I'm better I'm going to set up my laptop all over again and with help from people like you I'll get it right this time!!!

Thank you so much for your wonderful post.  I know I'll be using it as my road map to get my laptop functional again.  If you want to add anything else please do so.  I really hope you'll be around when I have other questions...you've been very kind.

Gratefully,

DogPal  :cold:

by Roger Caras

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

ISO is a file extension.  A ISO is a complete image of a CD or DVD, in this case an image of a Windows operating system.

I would suggest burning this to a DVD.

I use flash drives to save my important information, I have a 16GB drive that I keep the programs, pictures, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc. on.

I just built my new computer and had transferred the data that I wanted from the Windows 7 build to this flash drive, I used it to load this on my new Windows 8 build.  There is free software out there which can be used to create an image of your operating system and all of its data, like Macrium.

I'm usually here every day, with the exception of every other Tuesday, so I'll be around if you need any help.  I'm gone from about 8:30 am to around 3:00 pm.

I hope you have a speedy recovery. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DogPal

DogPal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hi again!

I think I'm on the road to recovery, (finally!!!), but before I start setting up my laptop I just wanted to ask another question or two.

I hope that "dc3" is around, as he's been such a wealth of knowledge about this daunting task...so, if you're reading this "dc3" I'm continuing my journey...here goes....

When I lift the lid what should I do before anything else....should I install my Anti-Virus program before I go to Windows Eight Forums to download & burn a DVD of the OS as an ISO file?  I've been a victim of ID Theft that was traced to an online transaction, so I'm a bit more nervous about security issues than I ever was before.  Is Windows Firewall already pre-set to protect me or should I make sure my AV program is installed first? Also, will I need my registration code number to download & burn the .ISO?  As you remember, this'll be the very first time I ever made a DVD of the OS, so I want to do it right!

When do you suggest I deal with the "sharing" issues that gave me SO MUCH trouble before my Hard Drive died...before I make the .ISO DVD...before I install my AV program...if not when?

When should I go to Microsoft to download & install all the updates that are surely there...I'm assuming there'll be LOTS as Lenovo told me it was "restored it to the original factory settings" when they replaced the hard drive...also, if it's still Windows 8, should I do the free upgrade to 8.1 before all the Windows updates, or are they pretty much the same?  I did the free upgrade to 8.1 before the HD died, but I don't know what version Lenovo considers to be "original factory settings"...how do I do this properly?  Would you list the proper order so I don't mess up anything? 

I know what programs I rely on daily & I use RoboForm Pro to remember all my passwords...does it matter if I install that toward the start of this process?  

If there's anything else I should do, or a particular order in which I should do them, please let me know.  I'm so glad to have such wonderful help with this...thank you in advance for taking the time to share your knowledge with me.  I REALLY appreciate it!!!  :thumbsup:

VERY Gratefully,

DogPal  :flowers:

by Roger Caras

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

I need to backtrack here.  When you download the IOS image you will want to make sure you download the same version as your, example, Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Enterprise, Windows 8 RT.  You will also need to know if your copy of Windows 8 was the 32-bit or the 64-bit.  If you post the make and model of your computer I can find that information for.  I will need this in order to supply you with a link to download the drivers your are going to need to install.  And no, you will not need the product key to make the download of the ISO image, but you will need it when you are ready to activate your new installation of the operating system

As for what to do first after installing the operating system.  Windows 8 has Windows Defender (formally Security Essentials) included in the operating system, and there is a firewall installed as well, so you can use those until you decide whether you want to keep using them or download others.

If you are going to use a browser and or email client other than what Microsoft has provided I would suggest you doing that at this point.

Your are going to need to load the drivers for your computer, chipset drivers, graphics, audio, etc.  There are two ways you can go about this.  You can download them and place them on a flash drive or CD, then you can load them right after the operating system is installed.  The other option would be to download them after the operating system is installed. 

When do you suggest I deal with the "sharing" issues that gave me SO MUCH trouble before my Hard Drive died...before I make the .ISO DVD...before I install my AV program...if not when?

Please explain what you are referring to as "sharing".

As for updates, since Windows 8 is still relatively new there won't be a lot of them.  Windows 8's updates are set for automatic as a default, so it should find the updates and load them without your needing to do anything.  Sometime down the road your will be asked by Microsoft if you want to download the Windows 8.1.  At this point I won't allow this for my computer until I see that there has been something done about this.  I'm seeing too many instances where members are experiencing problems after this upgrade.  Microsoft has already announced the Windows 9 will be out in 2015, so I have a feeling that Microsoft isn't going to much of anything more with Windows 8.1.

This is the point where I normally would install all of the programs that I want to use.

I think this will get you on the right track.  Remember, you can always come back and ask more questions.

#7 DogPal

DogPal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Hi!

Thank you SO MUCH, dc3...it's so nice of you to help me again.  Sometimes it's difficult to find a knowledgeable friend who's able to help you in the real world; but having such a friend in the virtual world is truly a miracle!!!  You're awesome!!!

Well, I'm a bit baffled already, as I thought that when Lenovo restored my G585 to "original factory settings" it meant that all I had to do was open the lid, get my connection to the Internet, set up my Programs & that would be it.  Aren't the drivers already installed if it has its "original factory settings"?  If I have to download drivers should I wait till they're installed to make the .ISO DVD so if I should have another crash I'd have everything I'd need to start over again?  I guess I really don't understand why the drivers wouldn't be part of "original factory settings"...my confusion is an understatement to someone like you, I'm sure!  Any previous PCs I ever used I would just set up my internet connection, install any updates, install Programs & then just use it. Apparently I have much more to learn!

You asked what my "sharing" issues were...well, in all my earlier PCs I was able to access Program Files, Program Data, Music, Photos, or right-click on something go to the Properties tab & modify anything I wanted.  In Windows 8 I was "denied access" to my own stuff all the time, even though I'm the only one who uses my laptop...the only one who installs the Programs, or stores Music or sends email.  One day I wanted to play some tunes while using my laptop but when I tried to open the My Music folder I was "denied access"!!!  Being curious, I tried to open Program Files; then Program Data; then Photos & others, but I kept getting the "access denied" message box!! I searched online & learned that Microsoft got a bit paranoid with Windows 8 & built-in lots of security changes. I was told several different things to try to regain control, (like creating an Administrator account; or a Workgroup, etc), but even though I was already the Administrator I was unable to make changes to the 'sharing' aspect.  Even though I was the Administrator and the ONLY user I 'wasn't permitted to change' the way things were shared!!!  I was so completely frustrated that I just gave up and tried to deal with the fact that I wasn't allowed to access my own stuff!!  That's why I want to make sure I do everything the right way from the beginning so I can do whatever I need to do. For example, can you imagine how annoying it was to have to play CDs even though I had already saved them in My Music so I wouldn't have to keep playing them?  The whole idea was to eliminate the need to carry CDs around...but, there I was, doing just that.  I know it sounds trivial, but I think that when you own something you should be able to use it the way you want to & change things to suit your preferences.  Windows 8 took that away from me, & I learned that I wasn't the only one who felt the same way.  That's what I meant by "sharing issues".  I don't want to set things up incorrectly this time.

I think I need you to tell me about the drivers & if they should be installed before I make the .ISO DVD, (and why aren't they already included in the "original factory settings").  Oh, my laptop is a Lenovo G585 Ultrabook & is 64 bit. I haven't opened the lid since I got it back from the Lenovo repair center, but when I sent it in it was running Windows 8.1, (as I'd upgraded it about a month after Microsoft had recommended 8 users to do so. Like you, I waited before upgrading...knowing their penchant for doing things wrong I didn't do it right away!  I wanted to see if any other PCs blew-up first!!!)  I guess I'll know if they installed 8 or 8.1 when I open the lid.

Anyway, a million "Thank Yous" for all your help.

Gratefully,

DogPal

by Roger Caras

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

In your first post you didn't mention anything about the System Recovery Partition being used to restore your computer to the factory condition.  I thought from what you had initially posted that you wanted to reinstall the operating system but didn't have a disc.

Since the recovery partition was used you should have the computer's operating system the way it came out of the box originally, including drivers.  The only drivers you may need to load would be for peripheral devices, like a printer, or a scanner.  If this was a destructive recovery you would have lost everything that was downloaded or installed from a disc.  You also would have lost all of your documents, pictures, etc.  In short, you should have a computer which is ready to be set up to your ISP, get online, and download the programs you want to add.

The one thing that you should do first is make an administrator account for yourself.

As for this being 8 or 8.1, if the computer originally came with Windows 8 the recovery should have been back to the original installation of Windows 8.  If it is Windows 8.1, the guys who did the recovery did it after the recovery.  If they didn't, there is a download for a Windows start button and menu, this also will create a taskbar.  You can download it here at Bleeping Computer.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by dc3, 31 January 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#9 DogPal

DogPal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Hi dc3!

Sorry if I didn't explain things correctly...the message that showed up only a few days after I'd started using my laptop was:

"Default boot device is missing or boot failed. Insert recovery media and hit any key. Then select boot manager to choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media". 

That message & a persistent, clock-like, ticking noise were the only warnings I got that the laptop was equipped with a bad hard drive & that it wasn't able to boot & it kept telling me to insert removable media.  I want to make sure I have the OS saved somewhere so if this should ever happen again I'll be ready.  Since Windows used to include the "recovery discs" in earlier versions I never had to make a backup before & I want to do it the right way.  Even though I'm only a home user I still lost ALL my data & I want to do everything possible to keep it from happening again. I hope I'm making sense this time!!

What is a "System Recovery Partition"?  I was told that the laptop was restored to "original factory settings", & given a new hard drive. Wouldn't the OS be the only thing on there?  I hope that if it's a new hard drive it wouldn't have anything else on it BUT Windows 8, 64bit.

Assuming that's all that's on there is it still OK to create the .ISO DVD?

As far as creating the Administrator account...doesn't Windows know that if I download & install a Program that I AM the Administrator?  If not, what's the correct way to install stuff so I'm not "denied access"?  It's so annoying to me to have to go through extra steps to open Program Files, Documents, Music etc. when I'm the only one who uses this laptop. I remember being baffled when I tried to play my tunes & saw that there was an account with my name AND another account with my name with Administrator next to it!!  I know that I didn't set it up that way; does that mean that Windows makes User accounts on its own?  All I know is that I want everything set up correctly so I can eliminate all the frustration I had when I couldn't open my own files & folders, so I'll follow your instructions.

Thanks again for setting me straight about all this!!

Gratefully,

DogPal  :flowers:

by Roger Caras

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

1.  What is a "System Recovery Partition"?  I was told that the laptop was restored to "original factory settings", & given a new hard drive. Wouldn't the OS be the only thing on there?  I hope that if it's a new hard drive it wouldn't have anything else on it BUT Windows 8, 64bit.

2.  Assuming that's all that's on there is it still OK to create the .ISO DVD?

3.  As far as creating the Administrator account...doesn't Windows know that if I download & install a Program that I AM the Administrator?  If not, what's the correct way to install stuff so I'm not "denied access"?  It's so annoying to me to have to go through extra steps to open Program Files, Documents, Music etc. when I'm the only one who uses this laptop. I remember being baffled when I tried to play my tunes & saw that there was an account with my name AND another account with my name with Administrator next to it!!  I know that I didn't set it up that way; does that mean that Windows makes User accounts on its own?  All I know is that I want everything set up correctly so I can eliminate all the frustration I had when I couldn't open my own files & folders, so I'll follow your instructions.

1.  It use to be that when you bought an OEM computer (Original Equipment Manufacturer, like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) it would come with a installation disc.  This is no longer the case.  Manufacturers now set a separate partition on the hard disk drive (hdd) which contains the System Recovery.  This can be used to reset the operating system back to the condition it came out of the box.  The downside of this that when this is used you will lose all of the programs you downloaded or installed from a CD.  You have already experienced the other downside, that would be the fact that when the hdd fails you can't use the System Recovery partition.

Since Lenovo reinstalled the operating system you probably now have the System Recovery partition.  You can check this by going to Search and type in All Control Panel, then click on Administrative Tools, then click on Computer Management, then click on Disk Management.  When Disk Management opens you will see Volume, directly below that you will see (C:), System Reserved, (D:) this should be your optical drive.  If there is another drive listed this would be the System Recovery partition.  Note:  You should remove any USB devices before you do this so they wan't be shown in the Disk Managemant.

While you are looking for things, in Settings type in Computer, when it appears under Apps in the left upper section of the window right click on it and choose Properties in the options that open below.  When Properties opens you can see what version of Windows 8 was installed.

2.  It wouldn't hurt to use the ISO image to create a installation disc, it would be useful if you were not able to boot into Windows.

3.  Windows 8 has a default administrator account which normally not visible.  But you will need to create an administrator user account so that you have privileges.

I hope this helps. 

#11 DogPal

DogPal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

Hi Again,

Well, I think I've regained enough strength to tackle the rebirth of my laptop & it's all thanks to you, dc3!  With all the detailed instructions you posted I decided I just need to say LOTS of prayers, take a deep breath & just do it!!!

I'll officially open its lid tomorrow & I'll let you know how everything goes. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your knowledge & also for your patience.

The next post you see will be made on my Lenovo G585...unless I run into a problem.

Thank you for everything!!!

Gratefully,

DogPal :flowers:

by Roger Caras

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Glad to help.

I'll be around if you have any more questions.

#13 DogPal

DogPal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

Hi dc3!

Well, I finally got up the nerve to open the lid & as you suggested I'm going to make the .ISO DVD. 

I have 2 brands of discs & I'm wondering if these are the right type to use.  One is Sony; the other is HP invent.  They're both labeled as CD-RW & 700 MB/Mo...80 min.  The Sony discs say Multi Speed..1x 2x 4x...the HP discs say 12x.

Are these the right type & if so is one brand a better choice than the other?

Do I need to do something to protect the .ISO so it doesn't get written over?

Thanks again!!

DogPal :flowers:

by Roger Caras

#14 DogPal

DogPal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

OOPS.....

I just pluged it in & when the logon screen comes on it shows Administrator; but when I click on it it says "the Administrator account has been disabled.  Please contact your Administrator"....what the heck do I do now?????

How do I enable my account?

Thanks again

DogPal  :scratchhead:

by Roger Caras

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

You will want to use a DVD-R because of the size of the file.  Verbatim and Ridata are good brands.  

As for protecting the disc from being overwritten, one of the last aspects of burning the disc is to finalize it, after this it cannot be written over.  All of the programs that I'm familiar with will automatically finalize the disc, in fact, the programs which will allow you to not finalize is have to be set so that it doesn't automatically finalize the disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users