Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rolling2live

rolling2live

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:52 PM

Ok, currently i have an S3 proSavage DDR video card. (came with the computer) and i went to download updates for it, now windows won't boot up. i get to my desktop then it just instantly restarts before i can do anything. the only way to start it is in Safe Mode and i have run all my anti virus programs, so i doubt that a virus is the issue.

Specs:
Windows XP Home SP2
1.2 gig RAM
Intel 2.40 ghz

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:53 PM

Have you tried using a System Resore, for the time before you had these problems?

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:06 PM

What you do is this.

Reboot into Safe Mode, Goto Device Manager by right clicking on My Computer and left click Properties the Hardware then Device Manager and click the little plus to the left of Display Adaptor and then delete, remove or uninstall the display adaptor and exit out back to the desktop.

Then reboot into Windows normally and Windows will reinstall the driver and you should be ok

#4 rolling2live

rolling2live
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:23 PM

thanks for the fast reply. i think i got it back in working order :thumbsup:

one more non-related question.. how often should i clean out the inside of my computer?

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

one more non-related question.. how often should i clean out the inside of my computer?

How often does it get dirty?

Computers near the floor often collect more debris than computers on or in a desk. People who smoke or have pets often collect dust bunnies more quickly. (Smoking, btw, is one of the worst things you can do to your computer - the tar builds up everywhere.) Wood stoves or fireplaces can build film over CD/DVD lenses.

Not only do you need to get into the computer, but sometimes, even beneath the front panel. Many of those can be removed, but be careful to check how they're attached. The front fan will collect pet hair and clog completely. I once repaired an ancient horizontal desktop computer that kept destroying AT power supplies. The entire front panel was stuffed with cat hair - no air circulating through the case at all.

So check it periodically, and learn how long it takes for yours to need cleaning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users