Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

modify system with new mobo

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

I am replacing my MOBO and want to change the system.

I currently have:

80GB SATA OS drive as C: (XP Pro)

160GB IDE partitioned drive as D: & F: Win7 resides here

120GB IDE drive as E:

2TB SATA partitioned drive as G:, H:, I: & J:

After I change the MOBO I want to put C: onto G (redesignate in the bios) and use that as C;

I want to Put F: onto I: and use that as E: still Win7 OS

I want to use H: & J: as data only drives H for XP & J for Win7

What would be the best way to accomplish this? Thanks for help.

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 25 January 2014 - 09:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Clean install of each O/S, with the oldest being the first installed.

As for changing motherboards...Micrsoft views a change of motherboard for an OEM/System Builder version of any Windows O/S...as a change of system.  A change of system calls for a clean install with appropriate licenses and product activations.

Louis

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Yep the motherboard is a major change and Microsoft will need to be activated again. Assuming everything hardware wise cpu/ ram etc is all done correctly. As far as moving data HD cloning software is the best solution. Some new HD's that you buy come with software to do this. Or you can download a free trial as there is lots of software out there. Be aware though that many free trials are limited and don't have disk cloning untill you buy the product. True Image is $50 bucks to buy and in my opinion is worth every penny.

After all the drives are hooked up and the disk cloning is done, it's time to verify the drives boot. Swap the drives out with the old. Sometimes you need to reset the bios manually to defaults, or changing the HD settings from IDE to AHCI or boot squence etc. Sometimes it only takes a couple reboots it depends on the bios. The next critical thing you need to do is reinstall/update the new drivers that came with the new motherboard in each OS. Typically these will be.... Video chipset drivers, network interface drivers, USB 3.0 drivers, Sound Drivers. Usually all this will be packaged into a what's called a 3in1 or 4in1 package on the cd disc. Next go to the website of the maker of the motherboard as at times there will be Newer Drivers and bios updates. Next do a Microsoft Update. At times Microsoft may have a newer driver resolving their compatibility issues if you are having any. Lastly create a backup of your new OS's or keep the copy of the clone somewhere either a secondary drive or external. i can't stress this enough how important this is.The beauty of True Image is that it can make a boot cd disc that can recover from the backup you created in the event that you cannot even boot into the OS. That pretty much sums it up. Good luck.

#4 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

If I need to re-install both XP and Win7 OS, is there a way to do this so I don't spend hours installing updates, My XP is the original SP1 disk?

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

Short answer...no.

If I guess...there have been more than 200-plus critical updates since the days of SP1...in fact, there have been more than 100 since SP3 became available.

As long as SP1 is installed...you can download/install SP3 and it will shorten the process somewhat...but all those other security updates will still remain.  SP3 contains the critical updates since SP1.  All critical updates since SP3 are available via Windows Update.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

Louis

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Another thing you have to deal with is dreaded svhost 99% cpu issue. Once everything is patched it's best to make a clone backup and never deal with all this again. If you're savvy you could maybe create your own customized cd and slipstream all the updates patches etc into your own custom Win XP cd.

#7 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for your help! @Techno... I did do a slipstream several years ago and it did not turn out well. Too late anyway.

I changed the mobo out yesterday and today.

Amazingly enough, the system powers on and I can set the bios to direct which drive is c. But i get a very quick blue screen after the windowXP or the win7 logo screen and the system reboots. I have changed almost all theconfiguration but to no avail.

The new mobo is about a 5 year old rebuilt (not by me) ASUS P5K Premium. My old one was an ASUS P4C800-E delux. The memory is not the same for both MOBO's and I only have a 1GB stick to fit the new MOBO.. Also neither the DVD or the CD can be read, they can be accessed, just not read. Any suggestions?

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Try in safemode as the system is reading the old drivers causing the BSOD. You need to install the new mobo drivers. Again video chipset, lan card, sound card etc. Usually all this is packed up in one deal on the disc. Oh and if you keep getting BSOD try resetting the bios to defaults so that it detects all the new hardware. Usually this just fixes the problem and normal boot will run ok but you still get popups that new hardware has been detected. In anycase safemode is designed to load bare minimum is why it is used so much in the troubleshooting world. Be sure to doublecheck cpu fan connections etc on your new build I hate to see ya blow something up.

Edited by technonymous, 23 January 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#9 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Normally I would agree with you. I only received the board, one ide cable and one other cable. I have tried all the modes provided by F8, all have the same results. I am a bit concerned that the system recognizes the dvd and the cd drive but will not read from either one. So right now it looks like unabel toeven update any drivers. I just p;urchesed 2 2GB ddr2 800 memory sticks and will put them in later this evening,

#10 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

OK, all is not lost. It is now reading a USB DVD, maybe the others as well. It is runnig through windows repair.

#11 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

I just repaired my SP Pro installation after putting in a new MOBO. I get an msfeedssync.exe - application error message about every 5 minutes, saying The instruction at "0x7e4195c8" referenced memory at "0x00000048", the memory could not be "read". Checking out the for more information link i get,

Error signature

AppName: msfeedssync.exe      AppVer: 8.0.6001.18702      MofName: user32.dll

ModVer.5.1.2699.5512          Offset: 000095c8

#12 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:22 AM

Up an limping. Hard to believe that the start up issues were caused by insuficient memory!

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Since this is in the XP forum I'm guessing SP Pro is a typo?

If you didn't reinstall the operating system after installing the new motherboard this would explain why you are having trouble.

When you take a hdd with a Windows operating system installed from the computer it was originally installed on and install it in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here.

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

If this is the case, you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

Did you use the CD which came with the motherboard to install the drivers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

Well it can be anything you know because you're literally changing the foundation of what the pc was built upon and now it's all the sudden detecting all new hardware and it's going bonkers. Sometimes you have to change the HD settings from IDE to AHCI. I get this a lot doing builds or swapping out motherboards. New cdrom drives are sata too and same thing applies to them the old bios settings thinks the old mobo is still there and it's looking for a CDROM on IDE.

Edited by technonymous, 24 January 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#15 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the response.

Yes SP should have ben XP.

I did not reinstall the OS. I did do a repair when the system finially came up. I did not have enough memory in the system for it to load windows.

I see there is some comarisons to taking a hd with XP on it to to another pc and getting it to work, the only thing that is new in my case is the mother board, and some of the on board things like the connections for internet and the audio aconnections. The system is up, what I can not do is get on the internet, I do not have an ip/(??) connection and have not been successful creating one, I get the error about every 5 minutes, and I am not able to open MSOffice Outlook It did not like the fact I changed the directory where the files are kept. There may be other things I have yet to discover.

The mother board came only with the biard and one cable. I am using my LT to access the internet and am among other things, trying to download drivers from ASUS. I am not sure I am getting what I need, as it looks like the only drivers offered to me are updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users