Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System File Corruption?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GriggsD

GriggsD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:49 PM

Well, short version of what is wrong: Whenever I try to load safe made, it'll run down the .sys's and stop on mup.sys, then go no further. I'm using WinXP.

Long story: I been plagued by a few tough to kill trojans and the like when, all of a sudden, during the repairing instructions suggested by another board in this forum, the computer started to develope massive processing lag (ontop of the usual glitches that is probably hardware related). Eventually, about the third safe mode in the instructions, the mup.sys pause occured. I have the WinXP CD and would rather avoid a reformat, but will if it's possible to save personal files (by making backups).

Computer is a handful of years old and was windows 98 until upgraded to XP.

Any help appreciated,
GriggsD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

I would suggest getting on a computer that has a printer and do a Google Search for MUP>SYS. There are a lot of finds take a look and see if you can find a solution you will be able to follow. From what I gather it is just copying a new uncorrupt file over the old one, but getting to do it is the task and I honestly do not know if I could explain it easily to you.

The reason for the printer is to print out the solutions that you think will help.

Have a good day.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:57 AM

Update InCD from the Nero website. It depends on which version of Nero you have. InCD is a packet-writing software that makes it possible to drag and drop files into a burnable folder. It's quite handy to have if you do such things, but one of their versions was particularly prone to making it impossible to enter Safe Mode. It usually stops at mup.sys.

Try update package 3 here.

#4 GriggsD

GriggsD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:55 PM

Both are very good suggestions on what to do. In regards to the second option, does that problem with nero come up instantly or can it take time? I've had nero on the machine for quite a while before this problem came up. I'll update, like you suggested (tomorrow), just thought I would ask before hand.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:06 AM

does that problem with nero come up instantly

I'm not sure. On my machine, it was soon after I built it that I couldn't get into Safe Mode. The fix was instantaneous, and updating can't hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users