Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Document size?(warning! this may not be in the rigt forum)(sorry!)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lulucomer

lulucomer

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

I have a question about the file size in my documents. I put it here in "Vista" because that's my OS, and lack of knowledge as to where I should ask this question. So if I'm in the wrong forum, I apologize to the Moderators in advance.

Okay, here's the question:

I have an "NTI DataCD" download file in documents. It says that the document Size is 1.97KB (2.025 bytes) but is 4.00KB (4.096 bytes) Size on Disk.

Why is it so much larger on the disk? Is it because the download file in documents is just the information about the program, but the size on the disk is the actual size of the program itself?

I realize this may be a really ignorant question to most of the people here. Especially seeings how I can actually format and reload an OS on old PCs and figure out how to fix a whole lot of PC problems. I used an old DOS book to repair my first 3.0 Windows lap top(that thing weighed a good 5 pounds! haha) way back when. Even though I was told "Ahhh, you should not mess with DOS!" and "Are you crazy, you don't even know what Windows or My Computer means! Let alone what an operating system is!" But I did it anyways because all there was on the laptop when I turned it on was 1 blinking line. :scratchhead: I used a notebook and an ink pen because I did not know about printers yet either. (remember this was way way back in the early to mid 90's) But I finally out of frustration as to figure out why it had just a blinking line, I wrote the word "help". Apparently I was in Dos mode and up came a Dos menu of what I later was to learn was called "Commands". I was hooked and borrowed the Dos book and taught myself about how to fix a broken PC. :busy:

Now here it is so many years later and I'm just learning what most would probably consider the simplest and very basics of Computer 101 !! ha!

So if you could tell me if my theory that the actual program on the disk is quite a bit larger than the information on the document, I would appreciate it very much! Because the only other reason I can think of is the program snuck in some other files. As in maybe some other spyware or malware perhaps.

Thanks so much, Guys!

Your friendly hillbilly,

LuLu :guitar:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

The file system has a minimum amount of space that can be allocated to a file - with a standard NTFS file system that minimum is 4KB(4096 bytes). So any file which needs less space than 4kb will still be issued that much space, although the data won't fill it.

These basic building blocks of the storage system (of which 1 is the smallest space available) are called Allocation Units or Clusters. Unless a file size is an exact multiple of the cluster size, the space it occupies on disk will always be a bit greater than the actual file size.

A less efficient file system such as FAT32 will experience this effect much more for larger drive sizes - above 32GB the cluster size is 32KB, so your 1.97KB file would occupy 32KB of space!

Edited by Platypus, 21 January 2014 - 02:44 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:21 AM

Oh! Thus the name "FAT32", huh? Thanks so much for your informative and prompt answer, Platypus! I knew someone here would be able to explain the way file systems work. I just had to make sure that some unwanted stuff wasn't being tacked onto these downloads. I have noticed that alot of files had the same anomaly. Except now I know it isn't an anomaly after all. . 

Thanks Again, Platypus!

LuLu :guitar:

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:00 AM

FAT32, heh heh, hadn't thought of that! :)

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users