Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in System Repair loop after failed ATI driver uninstall

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ThunderbirdRobertson

ThunderbirdRobertson

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

Hi guys.  I have a Dell Inspiron 15r SE 7520 laptop, running Windows 7 64 bit with a dual video card thing going on (integrated Intel Graphics 4000 and an ATI Radeon HD 7730m).  I had upgraded to the newest 13.12 ATI driver recently in an attempt to fix some problems with some of my games running slow.  In the process I messed up my Aero Glass, so I figured I'd uninstall the ATI driver and reinstall it, which I had done before in the past with no problems.

I ran the ATI Catalyst driver uninstaller and things were going OK, but partway through it blue-screened.  The message indicated that the problem was due to the display driver timing out during a restart.  I rebooted, and figured I'd go into safe mode.  Instead, I ended up in the Startup Repair utility, which was unable to solve whatever problem has happened. The results from the utility said:

Problem Signature:

Problem EVent Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature03: unknown

Problem Signature04: 21199987

Problem Signature05: AutoFailover

Problem Signature06: 9

Problem Signature07: CorruptFile

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Rebooting the computer always leads back to the System Repair utility, no matter what boot option I choose. Near as I can tell, this would seem to indicate a corrupt ATI driver is hanging around.  I attempted the instructions here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html  to no avail. This page on Microsoft's site (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927525) seems promising but I can't identify which drivers in the ControlSet001 section of the registry belong to the ATI driver so I can disable them.

I have no system restore points, apparently (not sure how that happened...), and no recent registry backups to fall back on, but it seems like the registry itself probably isn't the problem. My only tools for working on the machine directly are the System Recovery cmd shell or some kind of external recovery disk, since it won't boot into safe mode.

Anyone run into anything like this before?

Edited by ThunderbirdRobertson, 21 January 2014 - 12:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

Hi,

In relation to the Microsoft article, the subkey which you need to look for is most probably atikmdag which is the kernel mode driver.

#3 ThunderbirdRobertson

ThunderbirdRobertson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

I just double checked ant 'atikmdag' isn't on the list. There aren't any that start with 'ati' in fact, which is a bit odd.  I can probably get a full list if anyone thinks that would help.

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Interesting.

Just as a thought have you tried booting using the Enable low-resolution video (640x480) when you press F8?

#5 ThunderbirdRobertson

ThunderbirdRobertson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Interesting.

Just as a thought have you tried booting using the Enable low-resolution video (640x480) when you press F8?

Just gave that a try but it still boots into repair mode.  I guess it's still loading the faulty driver.

#6 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

Safe modes should use the Standard VGA driver supplied with Windows.  If you are still unable to boot that suggests another problem.

If you can boot from a live cd that lets you use other programs on a USB flashdrive, the you could try running BlueScreenView.

When the program window opens, select Edit > Select All

Then File > Save Selected Items

Save the report as BlueScreen.txt.  Open the file in Notepad and copy & paste all the contents in your next post.

#7 ThunderbirdRobertson

ThunderbirdRobertson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

Sorry for the delay, took a little while to get it working in an Ubuntu LiveCD.  As requested:

==================================================
Dump File         : 012014-36223-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 1/21/2014 4:16:40 AM
Bug Check String  :  
Bug Check Code    : 0x00000116
Parameter 1       : fffffa80`0c30b2b0
Parameter 2       : fffff880`10e11af4
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000002
Caused By Driver  : dxgkrnl.sys
Caused By Address : dxgkrnl.sys+5d140
File Description  :  
Product Name      :  
Company           :  
File Version      :  
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0
Stack Address 1   :  
Stack Address 2   :  
Stack Address 3   :  
Computer Name     :  
Full Path         : C:\users\ubuntu\Desktop\012014-36223-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 428,920
Dump File Time    : 1/23/2014 2:34:09 AM
==================================================

And a screenshot:

oY41WHr.jpg

Edit: I went and checked the Microsoft instructions again and found out that I needed to be looking in the Offline section I'd loaded from the System hive.  Found the atikmdag there and disabled it, still no luck.  Tried dxgkrnl too just for good measure, no dice. So apparently that's not it.  I also tried using the Enable Boot Logging when booting but it doesn't seem to make the ntbtlog.txt file.

Edited by ThunderbirdRobertson, 22 January 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#8 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:19 AM

From the System Recovery options select Command Prompt.

Type chkdsk /r C: and press Enter. The process will take some time and you may be asked to reboot before it runs.

Then, again from a system recovery command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.  If the scan finds errors you may need to repeat the process.

Do you have an installation DVD?

#9 ThunderbirdRobertson

ThunderbirdRobertson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Ran chkdsk /r C: as described; it found some errors and corrected them but ultimately failed to make a difference, it seems.

To get sfc to run, I did:  sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows.  If I did not add those extra arguments it complained about a pending repair.  It finished without finding any errors.

I have my Dell Windows 7 CD somewhere.  I'll try to dig it up today.

#10 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Let's see if we can clear that 'pending repair'.  Back at the system recovery command prompt, type the following and press Enter:

dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Then try and boot into safe mode.

#11 ThunderbirdRobertson

ThunderbirdRobertson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

I had actually attempted that after some Googling (and before finding the other approach I mentioned). It results in:

Error: 2

Unable to access the image.

Make sure that the image path and the Windows directory for the image exist and that you have Read permissions on the folder.

Safe mode still refuses to start.

#12 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Three possibilities, I think:

1. Boot from a windoes 7 DVD and try a startup repair from that to see if it works.

2. Follow this procedure and then try to boot into safe mode:

•  From a startup command prompt, browse to c:\windows\system32\config
  •  Type ren system system.old and press Enter
  •  Type ren software software.old and press Enter
  •  Type copy c:\windows\system32\config\regback\software c:\windows\system32\config and press Enter
  •  Type copy c:\windows\system32\config\regback\system c:\windows\system32\config and press Enter

3. Perform an inplace upgrade install of Windows.

#13 ThunderbirdRobertson

ThunderbirdRobertson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

All righty.  This may take a little while so I'll get back to you.  Thanks for your help and patience during this process so far. It is appreciated.

The regback fix did not succeed, so I'll be moving on to backing up files and then trying a startup repair.

Edit 2: Backed up my stuff, ran the Windows 7 disk.  Startup Repair had the same results as it did when I booted into it before; I can't do an in-place upgrade because it says I need to be booted into Windows for it to work. Catch-22, haha.

Pretty sure at this point that I'm close to out of options.  Unless you have any other ideas I'll probably be telling the Dell Backup thing in the startup menu to restore it to the factory image. I'll probably forever wonder what in the world I did to mess it up this badly...  :huh:

Edited by ThunderbirdRobertson, 23 January 2014 - 11:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users