Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help... my computer will not boot into safe mode or any mode...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flywelder

flywelder

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

XP pro version 2002 and is a 32 bit system.  There is no mfg. name to the computer it is a home built  computer from parts of other computers and items from Tiger Direct, and was built for me 5 yrs. ago by a friend who said he knew very well the ins and outs of building a computer for me....it worked for about 8 months  then issues started  ....the smoke cleared and it has been proved not to be true, I have long ago stopped conversing with and going to him for computer help. he can never cure this boot up problem it has.

I have a few docs. and family images that were yet to be saved / backed up, so a complete reinstall is a possibility.  see **** below

The problem:  The computer will not boot normally, I have had this issue since Nov. 2013 . I have been  reading the web for solutions since Nov. 2013  and trying this and that  and have made no head way.  Tomorrow I will attempt to use  GETxPUD on a DVD and boot with that, and see how far I get.  I am using my son's computer right now, to type this.

**** Trouble began before I could use my external drive and make a back up.  So there is no back up to resort to.   when it does make boot progress it some times will get to the screen where the words XP and the colored four window paned window is,with the bar graph below,  and that stays on the screen for approx.  30 secs give or take and then the screen goes black.  The red HD light on the front of the computer stops blinking then also.  I have only been able to get to the screen with the options to boot in safe mode or safe mode with networking or boot normally,  etc. etc.   if I choose any  of the options the screen goes black for hrs.  even attempting to get to safe mode!

I have a thumb drive  loaded with TLC, combofix,  Adwcleaner; TFC; GETxPUD.exe;  JRT; and ready to insert it into the computer to run those programs and maybe  find a culprit and also cure the boot up issue,  but I cannot get to any screen that will allow me to access the thumb drive. 

I also cannot get to any screen where I can  attempt to run a HD test program  to test the health of the HD.  By the way  It is a MAXTOR  IDE  HD.   and the mother board is  a Asis, I believe.

I have tried booting with the rescue disc,  and that  did not work. I tried booting to last known good date when computer operated well. and that did not work,  again the screen went black for hrs.

I am open to any ones help. 

I am thinking it may be a driver issue for something installed on the computer, but there is just a HP printer and a HP flatbed  scanner and a old Gateway AGP  monitor from Goodwill, attached to the computer.

PS: I just had a flash back that the back up drive might have a saved back up of her computer which also is XP just a different version... should it help any, I'll check and verify  that tomorrow.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

A system that does not boot at all...or complete booting into the O/S...well, my first suspects would be hardware items.  Guilty until proven innocent via testing or substitution of parts into another known good working system...that's the approach I would take.

If it were me...I'd take it to a local computer shop and pay the $$ to have someone check it out and tell me what might the problems be (never assume there is only one problem).

In today's world...it's hard to not know someone who is capable of doing the same thing for free.  The problem with that is...most users with system problems have no idea how mistaken their estimates of a person's capabilities might be...if the knowledgebase was there, there would be no need to consult someone else:).

I'd be comfortable with the opinion of someone who actually has credentials that attest to her/his ability to properly diagnose and honestly depict the actual problems with a system.

That said...any onscreeen error messages that may have provided clues that something was amiss...before Nov 2013?

Louis

Looking back at previous topics by you...it seems that you have been having issues with this system for about 8 months, including initiating a malware topic that was not responded to.  Same system?

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

I would suggest a offline virus scanner boot cd. http://www.raymond.cc/blog/13-antivirus-rescue-cds-software-compared-in-search-for-the-best-rescue-disk/ There are 3 pages if you scroll down to bottom there is links to next pages. Pick your flavor :)

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

When did you last use Combofix?  It is a very powerful tool, and can cause issues that you are having now. 

#5 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

I am assuming that you cannot find your way around inside a computer case (that is not a negative comment about you, just analyzing! :cowboy: ) The easiest way to eliminate a lot of testing is just to pull out the hard drive, connect it to another computer, disconnect that computer's hard drive (just pull off the power cable) and try to boot. If it boots clean into XP the problem is mechanical in your box. If it still crashes then the problem is either a corrupted operating system or the hard drive is failing mechanically. Pulling the hard drive is very easy and not complicated. Tons of posts on the internet, and good tuts on Youtube.

>Corrupted OS: XP has a great repair reinstall option that will repair corrupted system files and not touch the data on the drive.

>Hard Drive failing: there are a couple of things you can try, no guarantees on any of them.

By the way....Cryptodan's comment above is correct, Combofix can and will damage your system used incorrectly. I suggest substituting Malwarebytes instead.

Post back if you have any questions.

Edited by ranchhand1, 23 January 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#6 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

the issue is not gettng better, and iam exhausted, so I am giving up for now with this computer and issue and taking a sabatical from it to pick it up again later.  Thanks to all ... I'll be back to you when I pick this up again.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users