Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No PS/2 Keybd or USB Mouse after virus cleanup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sbcomposer

sbcomposer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Apparently only the REAR usb ports are sick.  If I connect the devices to the front USB ports - they work.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Had some minor stuff - mostly PUP's.

After cleaning and rebooting the PS/2 Mouse and the USB Kybd are CODE 10.

What I have tried:

1. Upperfilters/Lowerfilters - no change

2. SFC /Scannow - no problems found

3. Uninstalled devices and reboot - they re-install but stay at Code 10.

4. I am currently getting things together to perform a repair install if necessary.

There are no restore points available.

Funny thing is if I plug the USB mouse to the front of the PC rather than the back where it currently is - it installs and works.

Edited by sbcomposer, 20 January 2014 - 09:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

I would go to Device Manager...scroll down to USB...expose the detail.  Then uninstall every detail item under USB which contains the word "controller", no need to bother with other items.

Reboot.

This reinstalls the USB drivers.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

Rather than uninstalling the driver click on the Update Option and follow the instructions.

You may benefit by reading what Microsoft Support has to suggest.

Edited by dc3, 21 January 2014 - 11:29 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 sbcomposer

sbcomposer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

I would go to Device Manager...scroll down to USB...expose the detail.  Then uninstall every detail item under USB which contains the word "controller", no need to bother with other items.

Reboot.

Louis

Rather than uninstalling the driver click on the Update Option and follow the instructions.

Re-installing the USB controllers made no difference, and updating says no newer drivers are available.  Repair install time?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

Well...if it's not an O/S issue (but a hardware issue)...a repair install will not be effective.  OTOH...I don't see much to lose.

Louis

#6 sbcomposer

sbcomposer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

Reboot.

Louis

Re-installing the USB controllers made no difference, and updating says no newer drivers are available.  Repair install time?

Im thinking since the devices work in the front ports its not h/w

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

Well...the PS2 issues could not necessarily be related to the USB issues...but they both could be hardware issues :).  The only thing they have in common is the motherboard and the fact that each employs drivers.  I don't see a different point of commonality between the two items you posted about.

I'm not smart enough to know what is going on...which is why I said that you have nothing to lose by attempting a repair install.

In any case, dc3 has the lead on this topic (certainly has more knowledge/experience) and you should look to him for suggestions regarding this.

Louis

#8 sbcomposer

sbcomposer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Is it possible to perform a Windows 7 repair install (upgrade) so we do not lose the program installations and user files by booting from a Win7 CD or can this only be performed from within Windows?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

A Repair Installation (Inplace Upgrade) is performed using a installation disc.  A Repair Installation should not effect your data, but you should always have your important data backed up to a removable media source.

That having been said, I would suggest that you try the troubleshooting procedures for the code 10 error offered by Microsoft Support.

The PS/2 are HID (Human Interface Devices), you should look for warnings in the Device Manager in both the Mouse and Keyboard sections, and the Human Interface Devices section.

I don't see how the PS/2 problems can be related to the USB problems.  One is USB, the other is HID (Human Interface Devices).

In your first post you wrote that you are using a USB mouse, is the keyboard USB as well?

With a PS/2 mouse or keyboard installed, restart the computer and look in the Device Manager for yellow warnings or red errors.  Let us know what you find.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 sbcomposer

sbcomposer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

We have a USB mouse, a PS/2 Mouse, and a PS/2 Kybd.  AT this point NONE work - all are Code 10 errors.  Have tried EVERYTHING I can find on code 10 errors and nothing has worked.

Now we cant even sign on because we have no input devices working at all.  The mouse will work in the Advanced Options Menu but stops working once Windows 7 loads up.

I dont see any option at this point other than a repair install - but can I do this by booting off of a Win7 CD or does setup HAVE to be launched from WITHIN Windows to perform a repair install?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

You posted previously that you had two USB ports on the front which still work, is this still the case?

The Repair Installation will require a keyboard and mouse.  Look through the instructions below and you will see where they will be necessary.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

In your specific instance I would also suggest going back to step 7b and choose the Command Prompt.  When it opens type in chkdsk C: /r /x and then press Enter.  Please note the spaces in the command.

Edited by dc3, 22 January 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#12 sbcomposer

sbcomposer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

As I mentioned in the previous post at this point we cannot get ANY mouse or keyboard to work - regardless of the port used.

Sounds then like the only option is going to be a full reinstall ?

Since we DO have a working mouse and keyboard in the Windows Advanced Options menu, just not once Windows loads, I was hoping the case would be the same if we were to boot off our Windows 7 CD, choose INSTALL, and then chose UPGRADE.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

1.  We have a USB mouse, a PS/2 Mouse, and a PS/2 Kybd.  AT this point NONE work - all are Code 10 errors.  Have tried EVERYTHING I can find on code 10 errors and nothing has worked.

2.  Now we cant even sign on because we have no input devices working at all.  The mouse will work in the Advanced Options Menu but stops working once Windows 7 loads up.

I dont see any option at this point other than a repair install - but can I do this by booting off of a Win7 CD or does setup HAVE to be launched from WITHIN Windows to perform a repair install?

1.  You did not mention that this applied to all ports as you have in your last post.  Hence my question.

2.  It appears that you can at least use the keyboard while not booted into Windows.  Try doing the Repair Installation and see if the mouse and keyboard will work, if they do run the Repair Installation.  There are commands which can be used in the Command Prompt, this can be accessed by choosing Command Prompt in step 7b.

3.  If you do decide to do a fresh installation you should install your hdd in a working computer, not to boot from, and recover the data which you wish to keep.  You can send this to an external storage device (external hdd or flash drive) or make a file for this and then burn it to a CD or DVD depending on the size of the files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users