Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD after updating Nvidia drivers - STOP 0x0000007F

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yuris125

yuris125

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Hello,

I'm afraid I have run out of ideas trying to fix this issue. Hopefully you can help me find a solution

The problem started when I was invited to play the game Rift with friends. I installed the client, it complained about a number of things (my computer is old and not that powerful by today's standard), one of them was that my video drivers were too old. So I downloaded the latest drivers at the time (327.23, video card is GeForce 9600 GT) and installed them. When I rebooted, I got a BSOD on system startup (immediately after the Windows XP logo with the loading bar disappeared)

That was about 3 weeks ago. At the time, I solved the problem by loading in safe mode, uninstalling the driver, and reinstalling the one I had before (266.58). The system successfully loaded, I decided I could stick with the old driver, and moved on

I don't think I rebooted the system between then and today - usually I only send the computer to sleep. Today, I installed new Windows updates, and obviously it asked me to reboot after that. Once again, I got a BSOD on system startup - this time with the old version of the drivers

I went to safe mode and uninstalled the video driver again. The system loaded without them. I went to Nvidia site and used the smart search to be sure I choose the right driver. I installed the on it recommended (version 332.21) and tried to start the system. BSOD again. All attempts to make the video card work gave the same result - the system started without Nvidia drivers, and showed BSOD on system startup when they were installed

I removed the video card and connected the monitor to onboard video. This configuration worked, system loaded and this is how it is working now

I also set up a clean Windows XP copy on another partition, and tried to install drivers there. This worked, the clean system loaded fine with the latest drivers installed

Unfortunately I don't have minidumps from the first BSOD appearance. Today's minidumps are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffbvow935v62ikc/Minidump.zip. I uploaded all 4 I have, although they're probably identical

Any advice and any pointers would be very much appreciated. This looks like a software problem to me (because the clean system works fine), but I can't figure out where to even start looking for its cause

Many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

The first two minidumps relate to Trusteer Rapport and the second two are related to your Norton Security. Did you recently install either of these?

#3 yuris125

yuris125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

Thank you very much for looking into this! Both programs have been installed or 3+ years, so they weren't the problem. However, realising that both crashes were somehow caused by security applications made me review the list of active processes once again. And I did find the culprit

A while ago, I installed a tool called nHancer. Its purpose was to fine-tune Nvidia cards, particularly for games which could not take full advantage of powerful graphic cards, in my particular case MS Flight Simulator. The problem is that the tool was working directly with Nvidia drivers, and was developed for drivers which were current at the time, but are ancient now - I worked with it using drivers version 198.xx. Once it tried to interact with up-to-date drivers, it started causing BSOD

Uninstalling nHancer solved the problem

Thank you once again for looking into my files and helping me find the answer!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the update. You can download a program called BlueScreenView to give you a idea of what is causing your BSOD's if you need it in the future.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users