Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot upgrade to 8.1 from 8.0

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kennydevon

kennydevon

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

I bought a Toshiba laptop with Windows 8 installed. I have had automatic updates turned off for some time.

When I tried to upgrade directly to 8.1, the system simply stalled (not a "blue screen", but the download did not make any progress). 

The Windows download troubleshooter said that sometimes the lack of updates can be a problem, so I tried to bring version 8.0 up to date. The system said there were about 40 updates to be applied. The process began normally, but the progress indicator stayed on 0%, and eventually said that no updates had been installed without saying why.

Can you advise me how to get round this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Stay with windows 8.

#3 kennydevon

kennydevon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

Is this a joke? If not, can you please elaborate.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

8.1 is the joke, or more so that the whole Windows 8 OS is a joke on Microsoft's fault.  As for your problem, did you update the stuff that the Toshiba Service Center showed needed to be updated?  Did you go through and do a sfc .scannow in a Command window, to check for any errors?  Did you make sure all updates are installed.

If you kept Norton on the computer, that can be 99.99% of the problem with why the Service Pack is not installing.  Uninstall Norton if you have it on the machine, and try again.

#5 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

That's a bit unfair... to be sure Win 8 has it's problems but 8.1 is on the road to repairing some of them and it is much easier to handle.  Kennydevon have a look at the list of updates and select first the important (marked) ones but select a few at a time and work progressively through them.  The 8.1 update will work but you will need to be patient.  I agree that you should get rid of Norton and their site has a removal programme.  Go there first and download it then tackle the updates.  Perhaps Greg as a senior member should have been a bit more selective in his comments... I think so anyway!

#6 kennydevon

kennydevon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:25 AM

Thankyou both. I tried again to install the upgrades to 8.0 with same result - ie nothing happening - only this time I left it alone overnight - in the morning when I opened the computer, it was busy installing the upgrades!! An hour later and it has finished.

I agree it's a joke - the worst operating system I've ever encountered in 40 years of computing - it hides everything from me, so that I never know what's going on. It's progress information is lamentable, as is the quality of its error messages.

But I'm stuck with it I suppose, so now onwards to try and install 8.1.

#7 kennydevon

kennydevon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

Success - in the end it was just a matter of patience (and dreadful communication by Microsoft).

Thanks again

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users