Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble with Automatic Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Melisae21

Melisae21

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hello! I hope I am asking this in the right section...

Recently, I noticed that my laptop was trying to install the same three Important Updates every time I started it. I made a note to take a look at it when I had time, but after about a week, it became unable to actually update.  I have a Dell Inspirion 1750 with Windows 7 Home Premium.

It immediately gives an error message saying "Windows could not search for new updates" and lists the error as Code 80070422. The help menu advised to change or restart the Windows Update service, but that did not help. Neither did the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

When I run the Troubleshooter, it says there are problems installing recent updates and with "Windows Update Error 0x8024402C(2014-01-20-T-11_35_41A). Strangely, if I ask for more details, it shows that the Update Error was fixed, but it initially says it failed.

It also says it fixed "Service Registration is missing or corrupt." But that shows up each time I run the troubleshooter and Windows still cannot update.

I am not sure what info I need to present, but I will quickly update with any further info requested. Thank you in advance for any time you have for this!

Edited by Melisae21, 20 January 2014 - 02:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Melisae21

Melisae21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

Apologies for bumping this, but I hope it has been long enough that it is not rude of me to do so. :)

I am still having the same problem - I haven't been able to get any new updates besides the same three, which continually "install" without working.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

For troubleshooting issues related to Windows updates, please refer to:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Pavo Lucas

Pavo Lucas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

I have been trying to resolve the Windows Update issue with the Microsoft Fixit and some other techniques mentioned here and so far I have been unable to fix it.  When I try the update it displays "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer".

I looked at the services and it is missing. This is a Toshiba Satellite C655D with  an AMD C-50 Processor 1.00Ghz. It runs Windows 7 Home Premium.  I ran several anti-spyware removal tools since it had all kinds of malware running.

But, the Windows Updates were not working before I had removed the spyware.  So, it seems like the spyware itself damaged the update function.

I would appreciate if somebody could point me where I have to go to get this part working again.  I ran Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Adwcleaner, Windows Defender and MS Fixit.  

I thank you everyone in advance for your help!

Cordially,

Pavo Lucas

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

You can start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum for assistance or follow the instructions provided in the Preparation Guide For Requesting Help.

#6 Melisae21

Melisae21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Hello,

Here are the results of my following those steps. I am in the middle of one step and urgently need advice whether to continue or not!

1) Running Microsoft Fix It in the first link:
It scans my system and says that "no problems were detected." However, if I click View Report Details, then it shows the following:

Windows Update

Searching for updates failed Checked

Issues checked:
Searching for updates failed
Windows Update encountered an error searching for updates online Checked

...That doesn't seem like "no problems were detected" to me, but Fix It says it is A-OK nevertheless.

2) Windows update cannot check for updates because the service is not running

That is not the message I am getting. It does not say that the service is not running. Instead, it says that it encountered an unknown error, Code 80070422. 

3) How to Troubleshoot
None of the errors on that page are 80070422.

4) Temporary Connection Problems
It does not seem to be a temporary connection problem. It also directs me to use Microsoft Fix It which already failed in Step 1.

5) Resetting Windows Update
I was following the steps and ran into a problem on the Command Prompt. I got to Step 6 where you reregister the BITS and Windows Update files but I receive two error messages while I was reregistering them:

The module "mshtml.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.
Make sure that "mshtml.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."

This error also came up for:
- mshdocvw.dll
- browseui.dll
- qmgr.dll

msxml.dll failed to load

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent DLL files. 

The specified module was not found.
This error also came up for: 
- gpkcsp.dll
- sccbase.dll
- slbcsp.dll
- initpki.dll
- wuaueng1.dll
- wucltui.dll
- wuweb.dll
- muweb.dll

Should I continue with steps 7 onwards? Or will that cause trouble? I am very nervous here since it says "Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly." Please advise! 

Edited by Melisae21, 01 February 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

5) Resetting Windows Update

That link includes using another automatic Microsoft Fix it solution.

If you're not sure what you are doing...I don't recommend to continue with the manual steps.

It doesn't appear as if any of those solutions are working so do this instead.

Contact a support professional by E-mail per the Microsoft Update Solution Center's Get Help Now link.
  • Alternate link for Microsoft Support (there is no-cost for issues related to getting updates)
  • Select the statement that best describes how you use your Microsoft product, then click Continue.
  • Read the Terms and Agreement, click the I Accept button, click Continue and follow the remaining prompts to describe your problem and receive assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users