Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 backup stalling

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 muggo

muggo

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

I have a Quad core AMD cpu, 16Gb RAM & run W7 64 bit.  I backup to an external USB2.0 2Tb drive.

W7 is genuine (passes the validation test) but I don't have the original disk or even a sticker with serial number.  The supplier has gone bust so I can't rectify this.

I run Windows backup with all the default settings applied & let Windows decide what to backup.

My problem is the backup hangs.  It backs up the files OK, but when it starts to create a system image, it stalls at 57% every time.  I think it used to backup OK (& nothing has changed) but I've never need a system restore to check this.

It starts at 2.00am so I'm not running anything else at the time.

I have been running Samsung Drive Manager in the background to backup files to a different external disk, but switching this off makes no difference.  Ditto BackUp Maker has been switched off.

I've tried different USB ports for the backup drive but no change.

I tried a Windows backup to a new 3Tb drive but had problems with sector size (4k?) but I understand my 2Tb drive shouldn't have this problem.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Hello,

Are there any errors in System Events that stand out?

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Might be an issue with the partition type. When you say your 3tb warns about 4k I believe maybe it is warning the file size is over 4gb which is the limit for fat32 formatted drives. If you format as ntfs you will not have this problem.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 muggo

muggo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

Hello,

Here's what I've found:

The backup was not successful. The error is: One of the backup files could not be created. (0x8078002A).  I've had this frequently in the last few days.

The backup was not successful. The error is: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002).  This happened today for the 1st time.

HTH

#5 muggo

muggo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Might be an issue with the partition type. When you say your 3tb warns about 4k I believe maybe it is warning the file size is over 4gb which is the limit for fat32 formatted drives. If you format as ntfs you will not have this problem.

The disk I'm trying to backup to is formatted as NTFS.  

On the new 3Tb drive, 4k is a known sector size issue with W7 apparently.

HTH

#6 muggo

muggo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

I've Googled the error code, downloaded MS Fixit & it suggests there's a kb fix I need.  Downloading now...

I'll keep you posted.

Edited by hamluis, 25 January 2014 - 12:17 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#7 muggo

muggo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

Hello,

Here's what I've found:

The backup was not successful. The error is: One of the backup files could not be created. (0x8078002A).  I've had this frequently in the last few days.

The backup was not successful. The error is: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002).  This happened today for the 1st time.

HTH

I've Googled the error code, downloaded MS Fixit & it suggests there's a kb fix I need.  Downloading now...

I'll keep you posted.

I downloaded the Important fix plus 2 optional ones that seemed relevant, rebooted & ran backup again.

It's still hanging at 57% as before.

Ran MS Fix It again & it can't find a problem.

I'll leave it overnight to see if it completes, but I doubt it will...

#8 muggo

muggo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

No luck.  After another 8 hours it reached 61% so something is wrong..

Still looking for a solution to this.

Anyone know of an alternative to MS Windows backup that will create a system disk I can boot from if it all goes wrong?

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 25 January 2014 - 12:19 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

I would suggest using clonezilla. (You may have to format your current drive unless you can create a seperate partition the same size as your bootable drive). I have always had luck with this program making an exact copy of a current hard drive. The last time I upgraded from my 1TB drive to a new 2TB drive I used clonezilla, booted right up and everything was exactly how it was on the other drive. I have only had 1 clone fail and that was from a drive that had bad sectors (without my knowing about them), I ran MHDD remapped those sectors and then it cloned fine.

It might be a good idea to run a scan on your 2TB to make sure you don't have a bunch of bad sectors that are causing the issue...

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 muggo

muggo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

I would suggest using clonezilla. (You may have to format your current drive unless you can create a seperate partition the same size as your bootable drive). I have always had luck with this program making an exact copy of a current hard drive. The last time I upgraded from my 1TB drive to a new 2TB drive I used clonezilla, booted right up and everything was exactly how it was on the other drive. I have only had 1 clone fail and that was from a drive that had bad sectors (without my knowing about them), I ran MHDD remapped those sectors and then it cloned fine.

It might be a good idea to run a scan on your 2TB to make sure you don't have a bunch of bad sectors that are causing the issue...

Thanks for the suggestion.

Format my current drive?  Don't forget I don't have any W7 media to reapply if it all goes wrong so this idea fills me with dread!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

If this is a WD drive, check the following.

This problem is caused by an issue with the Windows 7 Backup and Restore utility when using drives with 4K Logical sector sizes, which are found on WD 2.5 TB and larger external drives. This is different from an "Advanced Format" (AFD) drive which use 4K physical sector sizes. AFD drives should not cause this problem.

If is a Seagate the issue was solved by repartitioning and fomatting the drive as GPT instead of MBR. This is probably what the WD formatter does also.

See the Post by Rotary Ed at this Seagate Forum thread.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

Just...use one of many other backup alternatives.  If the problem persists with the external drive...you have a problem that is defined.  If problem goes away...you have more peace of mind.

Louis

#13 muggo

muggo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Just...use one of many other backup alternatives.  If the problem persists with the external drive...you have a problem that is defined.  If problem goes away...you have more peace of mind.

Louis

I've tried Paragon Backup & Recovery 2013 Free edition & that bombs on me too.  I managed to get it to do a full backup at the 2nd attempt but the automated overnight process fails & there's no help available.  No log file to help either.

Please can you recommend a reliable 3rd party backup (inc Windows files) solution for W7 64 bit?

Thanks.

PS All my drives check out OK.  I feel the issue may be to do with 4k sector size on my 3Tb disk - although I may be wrong!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users