Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"NTLDR is missing"

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 MaaD

MaaD

• Members
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

Can someone please tell me what is the meaning of this? I just ran a full scan with Malwarebytes. After removing the potential threats, I was prompted

to restart my computer...this is what I am seeing now.... "NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

I am still getting this message after Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Help please!!!!!!

MaaD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

You will need to perform a repair installation (with Windows disk), your OS was damaged during the virus removal.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

there's a whole thread on it here, with a many fix possibilities

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/ntldrmissingxp.htm

#4 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for the quick reply mate.Wil I lose all my files, pictures and folders from this repair installation?

Is that the only option? One of my CD- rom drive does not work. It will not open

Thx a bundle

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

No you won't lose your files... you will need a CD drive to do most solutions though.

I recommended that because it is one of the easiest, but there are other options to try in that link I posted.

Edited by TsVk!, 20 January 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#6 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

Can you say specifically what disc I need? I follow the instruction in that video from the link you posted,

I got an " Access Denied" message. Don't know if it was because i used a Dell Reinstallation CD on my

machine which is a HP.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

you need a system specific, or OS specific disk.

If you have a copy of Windows XP, on disc, that will be best.

#8 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

Is this copy of Windowsarrow-10x10.png XP, on disc the same as a Reinstallation CD?  Presently, I have a Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, but it says

"Only  use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer" This is the disc

I used early and got that "Access Denied" message

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

that doesn't sound like a compatible disk.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

You need MS Genuine XP disk, not a "reinstallation disk" nor a "recovery disk" from an OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.).  OEMs have not provided the capability for doing a repair install since 2005.  Their answers to repairing Windows...is "restore to factory defaults, turn the clock back."

Louis

#11 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Thanks Hamlius,

Can you advise where i could get MS Genuine XP disk?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

Any user who did not buy an OEM/name brand system...and installed XP themselves.

By now, there should be some available on the Web, being sold by users who are jumping overboard in anticipation of "the end of XP."

Any office or environment where they are still using XP.

Teachers, school administrators.

I hate to say it, but...eBay.

And so on...it not akin to drilling for oil in Hawaii...all you have to do is ask the right person.

Louis.

#13 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

This is quite a popular issue these days...

You need to tell us more about your situation to get the best help.

The NTDLR file could really be missing and replacing it is not difficult f that the the only probem - but you are going to have to boot on something.

No advice to run a Repair Install will help you unless you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD that is the same Service Pack as your installed SP (most people don't) and the NTDLR file from SP2 is not the same as the one from SP3 - it is a bad idea all around.

If you are running SP3 and only have SP1-2 CDs, the NTLDR files are not the same.  You must have a SP3 NTLDR file.

If you perform a factory reset/restore you may very well lose all your personal files (documents, pictures, music, etc.) and (assuming it works) that will set your system back to the day it shipped from the factory.  That means you will somehow have to get back on the Internet, download and install all the MS updates since your system was born, reinstall and reconfigure all your third party programs, then reinstall the most recent backup of all your personal files (that most people don't seem to have) and hope it all works.  It might work, but I don't play in might works and that doesn't sound like much fun.

Start with the basics and tell is about your system - this prevent guessing and assuming.

What is your system make and model?

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation:  Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!,  avast!. Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or improper shutdown?  (this includes plug pulling, power buttons, removing the battery, etc.)

Does the afflicted system have a working CD/DVD drive (internal or external)?

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD that is the same Service Pack as your installed Service Pack (this is not the same as any Recovery CDs that came with your system)?

If the system used to work properly, what do you think might have changed since the last time it did work properly?

Make yourself a Hiren's Boot CD and run a chkdsk with error correction first and then you can at least boot on something and get some maneuvering room.  Then if your NTLDR file is really missing, you can just replace it.

Here's how:

Make yourself a Hiren's Boot CD which you can download from here:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

The ZIP file is large, so the download will probably take a little while to complete bit it is worth it.  Then unzip the download to extract the Hirens.BootCD.ISO file that will be used to create your new bootable CD.

Creating a bootable CD from a .ISO file is not the same as just copying the .ISO file to a blank CD.  You have to use software that understands how to burn a .ISO file to a CD to create a bootable CD.

In the Hiren's ZIP file are the BurnToCD.cmd file that you can double click to launch it, but I have never used it and prefer to use ImgBurn.

If you need a free and easy CD burning software package, here is a popular free program:

http://www.imgburn.com/

Like many third party programs you might install, the ImgBurn installation defaults to installing things you probably don't want installed on your system in the form of extra Internet browser toolbars or may make other adjustments to your browser.  You don't want to install any of that so you have to pay attention during the installation.

When clicking through the installation screens be sure to pay attention to the screens and always choose a Custom install and UNcheck the following (or any other things like it):

UNcheck:

Install the AVG toolbar and set AVG Secure Search as my default search provider
Set AVG Secure Search as my homepage and newly opened tabs

Choose custom installation again and UNcheck the following:

Uncheck:
Install QuickShare

There could be other things too.

Here are some instructions for ImgBurn:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

It would be a good idea to test your new bootable CD on a computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk. 

These adjustments are  made before Windows tries to load.  If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When booting on the Hiren's CD you will see a menu of options.  Choose the Mini XP option.  Then it will appear that Windows is being loaded and you will be presented with a desktop that has the look and feel of the Windows Explorer interface you are already used to using.

Remember:  You did not boot on your hard disk - you booted into the Hiren's desktop.

One way to check the disk for errors is to open My Computer and right click your afflicted drive and choose Properties, Tools, Error-checking, Check Now... put a check mark in both the boxes and then Start.

Sometimes that doesn't work, so you can also click Start, Run and in the box enter:

cmd

Click OK to open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command (assuming XP is installed on your C drive)

chkdsk  c:  /r

This disk checking can take a long time (perhaps several to many hours) depending on the size of the volume, the amount of data on the volume and what the disk checking finds to do.

Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find. 

Depending on the the speed of your system, the size of the volume, the amount of data on the volume and what chkdsk finds to do, it may take a long time for chkdsk with error correction to complete (several to many hours) or it may appear to be 'stuck'.  Be patient.  If the HDD light is still flashing, chkdsk is doing something so don't interrupt it.  It will finish eventually one way or the other.  Keep an eye on the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress.  It may even appear to go backwards sometimes.

You may have to run the chkdsk  /r  it more than once.

When the chkdsk runs clean, remove the CD and restart your system.

Edited by joseibarra, 21 January 2014 - 09:16 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#14 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Hi joseibarra,

Thanks a lot for the advise. Tell me, with my computer not working, how can i get all these info? I am assumimg all the other instructions has to be done

from a working computer, corrrect?

#15 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Do the best you can to answer the questions (is there no spell checker her is BC?)

If it used to work, what do you think happened?

From a working computer, make yourself a Hiren's Boot CD.  Then you have something you can use to look around.

First run a chkdsk with error correction (maybe more than once).

I have seen this problem lately many times and don't quite get it, but you have to start with basic things and some history about what happened prior to the incident (it is like going to the doctor).  What do you think happened or what did you do (uninstall something) prior to the incident?

It could be your unspecified antivirus/antimalware application quarantined (effectivley deleted) the file, so what is you AV?

When you get something you can boot on, then you can see if the NTLDR file is really missing or not.  If it is missing, replace it (but I want to know how it came up missing).

Something changed.  We have to figure out why and what, then fix it.

Edited by joseibarra, 21 January 2014 - 10:03 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users