Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen when lid is closed for monitor with miniDP to HDMI cable connection

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Eowyn27

Eowyn27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

I recently purchased two new dual monitors. I swap between two  laptops -- one for work, one for personal use.

The personal use laptop is a lenovo Y500 and I use the ports, HDMI and VGA to connect to my monitors. I followed the instructions about setting my laptop settings to "do nothing" when lid is closed and I even set the sleep settings to "do nothing". So, my lenovo Y500 works great and when I close the lid on my laptop, I have a primary and secondary monitor show up on the two monitors I purchased and all is well.

However, even though I did the same for my work laptop Lenovo W530, it doesn't work. The lenovo W530 has the ports MiniDisplay port and VGA. I made my VGA primary and my minidisplay port secondary. When I close the lid on my work laptop, the primary screen (VGA) is black but I can see and move my cursor on the screen but nothing happens. Also as if my laptop is permanently in sleep mode but awake? The secondary monitor when the lid is shut does not work or detect the minidisplay port.

It's just black and I can't move my cursor to the screen. It's just not detected. The interesting thing is when my work laptop screen is not closed, the primary monitor is displayed as secondary and it's detected and functional. It's only when the lid is closed that the primary and secondary monitors have problems.

What is wrong? Is there a problem with the miniDisplay Port? (I'm using my bf's thunderbolt minidisplay port connected to a HDMI cable that connects to my monitor).

What is interesting is that when I disconnect my miniDisplay Port on my work laptop (with it's lid closed), the primary monitor is no longer black with a visible cursor. It fully displays my work laptop screen properly. It seems to be an issue with the incompatibility of the miniDisplay port > mDP to HMDI converter > HDMI cable to monitor. So, I purchased a single cable mini DP to HDMI and connected it to my work laptop. It worked initially for a one day but then the next day, it stopped working. I'm not sure why???

The monitors I'm using are an an Asus VN248H-P. (They come with two HDMI ports and a VGA port each).

I'm certain it has to be tied to the mini DP to HDMI cable and/or software configuration settings on my laptop. I've been using the extend the desktop option.

EDIT: Another thing is if I extend my desktop to all three screens (laptop screen, monitor 1, monitor 2)....  the mini DP to HDMI screen is black but I realized when I open a new program, the program jumps to that screen but I can't access or see it because the screen is black. It's strange that the monitor is being detected but nothing shows. I had to disconnect the mini DP TO HDMI connected monitor in order to view the program I just clicked on because it was hidden and unreachable on the other monitor. 

Edited by Eowyn27, 20 January 2014 - 10:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users