Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Puppy linux

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 altonius

altonius

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:53 AM

So, I got my other problem handled ( Jan. 14). Now I've got myself into another pickle! I get the feeling this linux thing (addictive as it is) is going to drive me nuts! Despite what some of you superusers seem to think, us mere mortals don't find the linux thing intuiative. 

I downloaded Puppy linux to a usb. Booted it and started to go about setting it up the way I wanted.

I can't get it connected to my wi-fi. If there is anybody out there who has managed to get Puppy up and running could you please post an easy walk through? My wi-fi comes from Time Warner. I have phone, TV, and Internet, and they provide the modem/router (?). 

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

check this out

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linux/articles/74897.aspx

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

As the source from rburkartjo's link says, after choosing "Internet by network or wireless LAN," go to Frisbee and work through the wlan connection. 

I find it (Frisbee) works best for me. 

Good luck and best wishes!

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

First what puppy are you running.

On my puppy 5.7.1

WATCH THIS CLIP ON HOW TO

View My Video

http://tinypic.com/r/w9fivp/5

Edited by NickAu1, 21 January 2014 - 01:31 AM.

#5 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:09 AM

As the source from rburkartjo's link says, after choosing "Internet by network or wireless LAN," go to Frisbee and work through the wlan connection. 

I find it (Frisbee) works best for me. 

Good luck and best wishes!

First what puppy are you running.

On my puppy 5.7.1

Right click anywhere on the desktop or click the puppy icon in the bottom left hand corner. a menu similar to windows start will pop up

select  setup then internet connection wizard.

then select  wired or wireless lan.

then select the simple network set up

there you should see the wired and wifi options hit the wifi option and it should scan for wifi networks when its done select your connection and enter the password ( remember to select the encryption method on mine its the bottom option ) and hit connect you should get a wlan0 down then wlan0 requesting ip address then finaly ip address aquired after that a box will pop up saying do u wish to config firewall just use the default hit ok and it will save all the settings

2jbw0uw.png

2mqq2hi.png

I was just in the middle of replying to pane-free and rburkartjo when NickAu1's post came through. I really appreciate the prompt replies. Thanks.

After tearing out what is left of my hair, I did a little digging. Apparently, I have Puppy 4.20 which is OLD! I don't get the same pop-ups as NickAu1. So, discretion being the better part of valor, I think the best course of action is to make a new live USB with a more up to date version. Thanks again, people. I have to say this has got to be the premier forum on the Internet. I haven't been using computers for too long, but I've had occasion to visit a couple of different support forums. None have been as prompt and forthcoming as this. You guys rock!

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,379 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

May I suggest precise puppy 5.6 or 5.7.1

Find them here

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=35

This is the copy I have and it has everything you need including wine ( i run ms office thru wine) but its a 3 gig download.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91425

Edited by NickAu1, 21 January 2014 - 01:40 AM.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

Does Puppy release faster than other Linux OS's? I clicked onto the link above, there was also a newer download (3.8GB), in the title it appeared to be one month newer, released on 02/2014.

Do they have LTS versions? Though I do upgrade LTS releases after a couple of years for the newer features, I still prefer the stability of the LTS ones. Saves on reinstalls, this is more critical if installing on a Flash drive, due to the wearing/degrading of the Flash cells.

PS: Is a 8GB Flash drive large enough? Ater formatting, 4GB would be too small.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 23 March 2014 - 12:35 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,379 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

Do they have LTS versions?

No Lts.

Does Puppy release faster than other Linux OS's?

It looks like it. From what I see anybody can Remaster a Puppy and call it anything, Under the hood most Puppys are basicaly the same. There are a few versions Pae Non Pae x32 x64, But they all have the same basic menu, That is they have a standard set of apps then whoever remasters it calls it what ever ie, Fatty.

I know its a bit more complicated than that and I thank the guys developing it for all the hard work.

there was also a newer download (3.8GB), in the title it appeared to be one month newer, released on 02/2014.

Yes the guy updated it adding some stuff deleting some.

I think Puppy is fast and great for Browsing the net and doing the basic's.

Download a few try them out see what you think.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:15 AM

Actually I have a smaller one on hand that I tried recently (non-PAE version), precise-5.7.1-retro, though this is an ultra small version at 200MB & it shows. It was to see how it would run on my older Thinkpad T42.

Though I would use that version possibly to make a transaction with, I'd certainly not want to be a daily user of it. I'm not knocking it, it may be valuable to many with older computers, but the graphics were almost unbearable for my daily use.

Hopefully the never & larger ones has a more modern look. Not that eye candy is everything (I despise Windows 8/8.1) but that particular version was among the worst Linux I've seen & I've seen many. I would think, or like to, that a 3.8GB ISO has drivers to support newer GPU's, in addition to the many more features it offers.

Was going to download it tonight, but it's going to take too long, would be 4AM at my time before completion. Funny, even that 200MB download above took 35-40 minutes, even with a download manager. Will try it tomorrow.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,379 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:27 AM

You could always try Browser Linux @ 83 meg.

http://browserlinux.com/

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:45 AM

I would like to take one of those larger Puppy distros for a spin. Have always heard good things about Puppy.

Too, I have a hunch that the 3.8GB version is far more feature filled than a <200MB one. Some has used Puppy to rescue/repair Windows installs, though I haven't went that far.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users