Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Dual Slot 1 Motherboard Identification HELP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

After tireless searches and no real information gained I have come here as a last ditch effort to try to find out anything about this mother board I have. If you think this is the wrong section or site for this kind of thing then I'm sorry but PLEASE help anyways. If you have any information PLEASE share.

ALRIGHT down to business.

I have found a old motherboard in a storage box and would like to know more about it. The board is almost entirely blank of any information what so ever and finding anything even resembling it has been a huge challenge on it's own. It has-

3- ISA ports on it (1 shares the same back case slot with a PCI port so only one or the other can be used at a time)

4-PCI ports (1 case slot shared with one of the ISA ports as mentioned above)

1-AGP port (yeah I know I said port twice technically)

2 (TWO)- Slot 1 Sockets (if you'd call them sockets.. I don't even know.)

4 (FOR)- 168 pin SDRAM DIMM (I can only assume since nothing is properly labeled)

2-IDE connectors

1-Floppy Drive connector

2- I/O ports

1-parallel port

2- USB ports

Then the mouse and keyboard import.

As for what controller it has I don't know, for what I ASSUME is the controller is covered up by a heat sink that I'm not very willing to take off under the guise of damaging something.The ONLY labeling on the board is a small "Elpina" (looked them up.. pretty dead) logo in the corner on the back, a Intel PCI chipset controller, and "V1.2" printed on another corner. There are a few spots on the board where it looks like a sticker was pulled off *face palm*.

Mainly I need to find out what the chipset is on it and how much it is worth. As I plan to either keep it for a legacy system of sorts (I have plenty of old parts for it GPU, Audio card, ECT minus a P3 and RAM) or sell it.

I'm posting the pics as links since they're rather big- I don't know if this forum allows that. sorry If I seem a bit irritated- long day.

WP_000007_zps463e54fc.jpg

WP_000009_zps0b18092e.jpg

WP_000011_zpscf6fcc01.jpg

WP_000012_zps70d43f89.jpg

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:46 AM

Elpina were PC Chips, whose reference resources aren't over helpful. The good reference, the PC Chips Lottery, is gone. I don't believe the board will have any inherent value, unless someone specifically wants it. Pretty much your situation, to use up parts, or replace a failed board.

Seems like AMD Slot A to me? (Although I didn't use them myself). If you can get it to run, you might be able to get a cross-reference from the BIOS ID string at boot...

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:47 AM

Nah, definitely an Intel board given the Intel south bridge. These boards are fairly smart, find a cheap P2 @ 266Mhz, and a stick of PC133 ram, fire it up, and see what identification the BIOS gives you.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,783 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

definitely an Intel board

You're right, it's an M720:

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboards_d.html?manuf_id=PC%20Chips&mobos_id=M720

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

WOW you guys are super helpful. I can't believe you managed track down what it was. Props on super quick response times.  Plus the link to its specs so- daaaaaammm nice forum.

Since it has one of the lower end chipsets for Slot 1's (thus being worthless like you guys said) then it shall become my/a legacy system. Now onto find 1 GB of RAM and a another Pentium 2 to match the one I found today. ONWARD TO DOS

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,783 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

Glad to have got a result for you. I believe if you want to try running dual CPU you'll need the APIC module that goes in the slot adjacent to the BIOS chip.

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

Those are specific to the boards aren't they? Any work around to that? Finding the board was hard enough, let alone a specific add on for it.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

That module would be very hard to find today. You could try emailing PCChips and see if they have one available. You can still use one CPU without the module. PcChips is owned by ECS so you might want to contact them also.

apic.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users